Thinking of applying to PUCMM for medical school

mari01

Mar 11, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of applying to PUCMM for medical school. I have a few questions about the program. The cost is one. Both my parents are Dominican born citizens and one actually still lives there. How much would I pay to attend the school?

Secondly Spanish isn't my primary language, though my parents raised me speaking in Spanish and have studied Spanish for 7 or 8 years. I have gotten too comfortable with English. How hard are the courses and work? I know the lectures and everything are given in spanish. I read, write, and speak Spanish, but like I said gotten a bit comfortable with English. I am a hard working person, so I will just work hard to get over this small obstacle:)

Thirdly, though I love D.R. have gone to D.R. many times that I basically consider it my second home, I always dreamed of working in this hospital where I live and continue to be determined to work there. how was was anyone's experience with the USMLE and licensing to work in the U.S? Studying for it and ultimately taking it. Did you feel like it adequately prepared you? If not, what did you d to prepare for it?

I have an aunt who graduated from PUCMM's medical school and she currently works in Florida, but she had experience in D.R. before moving t the U.S. Also this was before I was even born, and sometimes time changes things.

I hear it is a good school though. Both my parents studied there, but they studied agriculture and public administration. My parents and my aunt all say I should attend the school.

Thank you so much for your time and your advice. :classic:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of applying to PUCMM for medical school. I have a few questions about the program. The cost is one. Both my parents are Dominican born citizens and one actually still lives there. How much would I pay to attend the school?

Secondly Spanish isn't my primary language, though my parents raised me speaking in Spanish and have studied Spanish for 7 or 8 years. I have gotten too comfortable with English. How hard are the courses and work? I know the lectures and everything are given in spanish. I read, write, and speak Spanish, but like I said gotten a bit comfortable with English. I am a hard working person, so I will just work hard to get over this small obstacle:)

Thirdly, though I love D.R. have gone to D.R. many times that I basically consider it my second home, I always dreamed of working in this hospital where I live and continue to be determined to work there. how was was anyone's experience with the USMLE and licensing to work in the U.S? Studying for it and ultimately taking it. Did you feel like it adequately prepared you? If not, what did you d to prepare for it?

I have an aunt who graduated from PUCMM's medical school and she currently works in Florida, but she had experience in D.R. before moving t the U.S. Also this was before I was even born, and sometimes time changes things.

I hear it is a good school though. Both my parents studied there, but they studied agriculture and public administration. My parents and my aunt all say I should attend the school.

Thank you so much for your time and your advice. :classic:

By the DR Laws you can obtain the Dominican citizenship with ease and fast. Both parents Dominicans make it a breeze. Once you are done with that step, you'll pay the local rates for credits at any college in the country.

It takes a couple of months at worst to do it. So get started now. Before it used to take longer!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
If you don't currently have your cedula , you will pay as an American for the first three years at PUCMM. The costs are - even as an American - MUCH MUCH less than an American medical school.

As far as the classes go... all lectures in Spanish, all practical work in Spanish, all text books in Spanish - however, most case-studies and articles are in English.

I have a lot of Dominican-American students in the Medical program and they seem to be content with the education that they are receiving. It is pretty demanding - it's not easy by any means, but they feel like they are being prepared for futures as successful doctors.

As far as the USMLE... the PUCMM has had some issues with success rates on the test, but I am fairly certain it's been more of a language and test-taking issue than a content-mastery issue. Dominicans are not accustomed to sitting for such long, formal, timed tests nor are the used to the format of standardized testing. Since you probably have experience with that, if you you have the language mastery you should be fine.

(I teach at PUCMM, including in the medical program)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In your case mastering Spanish and getting DR citizenship to help lower the costs are points to focus upon.

How does the best school in the DR rate to other places? I did a search once for the ratings and found PUCMM was "OK". Obviously others have taken their medical program and become doctors certified in the US, so go for it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In your case mastering Spanish and getting DR citizenship to help lower the costs are points to focus upon.

How does the best school in the DR rate to other places? I did a search once for the ratings and found PUCMM was "OK". Obviously others have taken their medical program and become doctors certified in the US, so go for it.

PUCMM ranks number 5250 in the world university rankings. it is the highest rated Dominican University.

as a regional gauge, the University of the West Indies ranks 910.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PUCMM ranks number 5250 in the world university rankings. it is the highest rated Dominican University.

as a regional gauge, the University of the West Indies ranks 910.

And yet Doctors that got their medical diploma from the DR and then went to the U.S. have and still today work in leading posts of the best health institutes there.

Universities, etc...

By the handful!

Makes you think! Doesn't it?

Ranking goes by research papers, patents, etc... The overall issue that the DR colleges have never had that in their programs.

In the U.S. when a woman with a cancer node in her breast goes to the Doctor, they treat her via surgery removal of the node, chemo and all those treatments.

Then when it comes back, they remove the breast. More chemo and treatment.

Then the lymphatic, more chemo, treatment, etc... Then, then, then.

In the DR a woman goes to the Doctor and they remove the node, the breast(s), the lymphatics , provide chemo and treatments.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Pichardo is kind of right. The rankings don't actually have anything to do with the quality of practitioners that come out of a university - it has to do with published research. PUCMM is not (or has not even tried until very recently) to be an investigative university.

It *is* a pay to play university - which means there are no real admissions standards, but - as a docent - I can tell you that the weak get weeded out pretty fast (most of the kids who can't handle it switch to the dental program, where the weakest then get weeded even further).

In your case, you'll want to look at the statistics for the USMLE exam and what percentage of PUCMM students pass and are able to practice medicine in the US. Pichardo pointed out that there are many Dominicans in important positions in the states - you'll have to remember that those were not the bottom of the barrel PUCMM students - they were students who would have excelled in any program because they have talent, passion and drive on top of their education. That's not true for (most) students. (And that can be said in any part of the world, right?)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Definitely an option to follow. The PUCMM is building the facilities to operate their medical school in Santo Domingo. At present medicine is only offered at the campus in Santiago. HB would know when this is scheduled to open -- could even be in time for the September 2016 semester.

Anyway, in addition to PUCMM other options in SD are:
Unibe medical school, the most costly. They have a school in Spanish and another in English, but I am told the teachers in Spanish are better. From what I understand medical education is quite bilingual anyway. http://www.unibe.edu.do

INTEC offers a five-year program that has many graduates in the USA. My sister graduated in medicine from Intec and today is professor of geriatrics at the University of Texas Southwetsern School of Medicine Dallas. http://www.intec.edu.do

UNPHU has another program, less costly, with many graduates in the US.

Also the OyM medical school with its program in English. http://www.oymed.edu.do/index.php/en/

All these are options to consider.

As recommended above, first step is for you to get your Dominican citizenship to reduce tuition costs.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a Dominican, your cost would be about RD$1.4 or 5 million for the whole 9 yards.

One thing about the USMLE. The PUCMM does not have the highest percentage of passes among its students that
take the test. (they allow any graduate to take it.) However, they are among the highest in the number of passes.

I can explain that if you don't get it.

I do not know what you know about medicine as an academic pursuit, but, it is a witch". Far beyond any other course offered.
Taking 26 and 28 credits a semestre, does not leavea whole lot of time for enjoying the college life.

And after graduation, you face the issue of getting into a residency program "of your choice"....certainly not the easiest thing in your career.

The biggest advantage of doing it in the DR (anywhere--except UTESA) is that you save time. Years and years of time.

Good luck. You can PM me if you have more questions.

HB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
As a Dominican, your cost would be about RD$1.4 or 5 million for the whole 9 yards.

One thing about the USMLE. The PUCMM does not have the highest percentage of passes among its students that
take the test. (they allow any graduate to take it.) However, they are among the highest in the number of passes.

I can explain that if you don't get it.

I do not know what you know about medicine as an academic pursuit, but, it is a witch". Far beyond any other course offered.
Taking 26 and 28 credits a semestre, does not leavea whole lot of time for enjoying the college life.

And after graduation, you face the issue of getting into a residency program "of your choice"....certainly not the easiest thing in your career.

The biggest advantage of doing it in the DR (anywhere--except UTESA) is that you save time. Years and years of time.

Good luck. You can PM me if you have more questions.

HB

Three years later....
How will the changes to the USMLE affect Pucmm? https://wfme.org/accreditation/ecfmg-2023/

Anymore input? Specifically for a 22 yo American educated Spanish speaking native Santiago woman wanting to go to Pucmm?

Thank you

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Three years later....
How will the changes to the USMLE affect Pucmm? https://wfme.org/accreditation/ecfmg-2023/

Anymore input? Specifically for a 22 yo American educated Spanish speaking native Santiago woman wanting to go to Pucmm?

Thank you
I have a nephew in the PUCMM medical school and a sister-in-law who directs a PUCMM department associated with the medical school.

PUCMM has applied for accreditation and is putting the wheels in motion to be successful.

The downside of that application is a more rigorous admission policy and stricter academic standards. In other words, fewer will be accepted, and fewer will graduate from the program.

Already more medical students are changing majors and dropping courses because if the increased academic rigor.

These increased coincides with the recent statements from the Minister of Health about the overall poor quality of Dominican medical school graduates, and how standards need to be tightened considerably. Higfher standards should not directly affect the delivery of medical services because there already exists an excessive supply of Dominican medical school graduates.

IMO, this situation represents an opportunity to shift medical educational focus from MDs to allied health providers, like RN's, PT's, etc. A poor doctor might be a good nurse.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

IMO, this situation represents an opportunity to shift medical educational focus from MDs to allied health providers, like RN's, PT's, etc. A poor doctor might be a good nurse.

We are working to that end now. Will be incorporating major changes in the health care sector and college careers/certification and state licenses.

Many college students already had been sent overseas to become not only graduates and holders of high education on those fields, but teachers and instructors.

We can't put the cart before the horse. Clearly these are very expensive programs and the faculty has to be there to support a large scale system of the kind for the DR. So far the students sent overseas under a very flexible program, are on track to make this a success.

As you stated, we considered that fact that many in the pool of doctors, just don't excel in their fields of study.

Many healthcare centers had been upgraded and brought to the highest international standards come equipment and facilities, but the problem we faced each time was the health care providers weren't capacitated to perform in these centers.

Nurses to name one.

We are a developing country with limited resources, so it's therefore normal that we will take this endeavour with baby steps until we can fund the system under the Universal Healthcare program currently taking shape.

It's easier to build hospitals than to build capable health care workers...