Tourist Card Overstays

StevenS0504

Mar 12, 2016
hi I am new here and just want to confirm some information...I visited d.r. in January for 10 days without issue and had a great time...Im planning to come from april 19 to july 12th...about 3 months...I am aware that the travel card is valid for 30 days, am I correct in assuming I will have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon departure? The updated fee is 2500 pesos as per this forum....??? Will I have to pay when I check in for the flight at the ticket counter, or at immigration as I pass thru security....and can I intentionally book my return flight for 3 months later without penalty, or be denied entry because the return flight is 90 days later, knowing I am willingly overstaying my tourist card....thanks for any help

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Will I have to pay when I check in for the flight at the ticket counter, or at immigration as I pass thru security....and can I intentionally book my return flight for 3 months later without penalty, or be denied entry because the return flight is 90 days later, knowing I am willingly overstaying my tourist card....thanks for any help

Just book your flight, and pay RD2,500 upon departure, plain and simple.
Nobody cares about your reservation, they look at entry / departure dates upon exit.

StevenS0504

Mar 12, 2016
ok thanks a lot!!! May I ask, do I pay at the ticket counter when I check in for the flight or at immigration/security upon departure..???

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
ok thanks a lot!!! May I ask, do I pay at the ticket counter when I check in for the flight or at immigration/security upon departure..???

The ticket counter does not handle overstay, they work for the airlines.
You pay at a window just past security as you are entering immigration.
If you enter the booth and owe them a fine, they send you to pay to the right of immigration.

StevenS0504

Mar 12, 2016
thank you...if I may ask, do I pay the rd2500 at the airline check in counter for departure flight, or do I pay at immigration/security where they stamp the passport???

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
thank you...if I may ask, do I pay the rd2500 at the airline check in counter for departure flight, or do I pay at immigration/security where they stamp the passport???

You just asked this, and got an answer????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They send you a corner... like the school bad boy...
there you take your punishment by paying the fine.

All happens at Immigration..... they clock you in & out

Nothing that a couple of thousand pesos can't fix..

have a good trip

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

I just returned a week ago I was there for about 57 days, I had a return ticket, no prpblems. On your way out immigration will scan your passport and send you to another window where you pay 2500 pesos. Make sure you are within the 90 days or you will be paying 4000 pesos if you are a day over 90.

Have fun,

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I know that in SDQ the lines for immigration may get quite long, so I would suggest you try to go to the overstay counter and pay the fee first - try it in any case. After you go through the hand baggage scan and security, it's on the right corner of the immigration hall. Alternatively, leave extra time to get through the airport. I only say this because last time i was there there were some US citizens who had overstayed, and they were screaming that they were going to miss their flights because they had to wait in line twice.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
The ticket counter does not handle overstay, they work for the airlines.
You pay at a window just past security as you are entering immigration.
If you enter the booth and owe them a fine, they send you to pay to the right of immigration.

At POP they didn't send me anywhere,I paid the guy right at the booth.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I consistently over stay and have yet to pay the $2500 fine. I always just slide a $20 in my passport an hand it to the person. Never had a problem. Last trip i put $1000 pesos in there and the guy didnt take it. he left it in there and let me pass. Lol.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I consistently over stay and have yet to pay the $2500 fine. I always just slide a $20 in my passport an hand it to the person. Never had a problem. Last trip i put $1000 pesos in there and the guy didnt take it. he left it in there and let me pass. Lol.

When was your last trip?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
lol you didnt pay the fine you paid for that guys beers for the whole weekend

Maybe a month's worth of beer,lol. I could care less what he did with the money and am fully aware of where it went I watched it with my own two eyes,I was 94 days over so the fine was 4000 pesos,after I paid him he whistled over the two nearest agents and gave them each 1000,lol.