Renting a Large SUV or Van in LT

Miguel Fermin

Feb 29, 2016
Hello DR1'ers

Traveling to LT in mid april for a week and im looking to rent a 7 passenger SUV or VAN but havent had much luck. Most car rentals have small to standard SUV's. can anyone point me in the right direction, I've scoured the internet but havent found anything.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello DR1'ers

Traveling to LT in mid april for a week and im looking to rent a 7 passenger SUV or VAN but havent had much luck. Most car rentals have small to standard SUV's. can anyone point me in the right direction, I've scoured the internet but havent found anything.

Where do plan on picking up the vehicle? Where are you flying into?

Miguel Fermin

Feb 29, 2016
flying into AZS samana el catey - I would prefer to be picked up at the airport by the car rental place owner or employee

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Don't remember the name of the agency but we got a van from Valentina who has a rental car biz in town
829 273 9292... It was in good shape, relatively pretty much new..

Or you could try Darios Car Rental but his cars are smaller, 4 door Huyndai types for like 5 pax max... +1 809 995 6738
And ultimately if it's still open ADA Car Rental - +1 809 685 7515

Have fun!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
flying into AZS samana el catey - I would prefer to be picked up at the airport by the car rental place owner or employee

There is only one car rental at AZS. It is called Sixt Car Rental. You can rent it at this location but here is the kicker. I rented a small car last week and when I picked it up I was forced to buy the "optional insurance". I was told and given a copy of the contract that said the optional insurance wasn't optional. It was an additional $100 + US dollars. I was using an American Express card and thought that would cover the insurance. Additionally there is an !8% tax on the total rental. If you rent a large vehicle it will be very expensive. You probably would get a better deal in LT. A taxi from AZS to LT is $70US each way. The rental at the airport is a franchise and not owned by the company so they can charge whatever fees they want. You can make a reservation on line but you can't pay for it until you get to AZS. I guess it depends on your budget. The good news is they give you the vehicle with gas in it and gas is around 3.85 us a gallon. That is a lot lower than previous years. Make sure you get some pesos before you leave the airport. You will need rd528 to take the new road from the airport to Lt. Good luck and good travels

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The mandatory insurance at the rental agencies is for 3rd party liability. Alamo is $9/day. Can't get away from it unless you take "full" coverage.
I don't use Sixt but theirs is probably about the same.