My experience withteh Ocidental chain

Globetrotter

Feb 3, 2002
Hello everyone:

I am back from my DR trip, and I wanted to share with you my awesome experience with the Occidental chain. We had reservations at the Embajador. From the first day when we arrived there, we felt that we had landed in paradise. Took us less than 3 minutes to check in. The rooms were luxuruous as expected, with all the amneities. The kids were thrilled. We were in the 6th floor, which gives you access to the services from the Club Embajador. Continental breakfast (i.e. cereal, croissants, fruits, toasts, ect) was included in the rate, and for another 5 bucks, you could have eggs and a whole buffet. A giant pool with people at your service, and a very friendly staff. The hotel is not located on the Malecon, but there is an advantage to that: you don't get to be stopped and harassed by street vendors at each step. We wandered around the hotel without any hassle. Morover, one of the restaurants of the hotel, "El Jardin del Embajador" is really first class. Beats "El Meson de la Cava" or Vesuvio. We usually took lunch at their more casual "Los Porches", as "El Jardin del Embajador" is more formal. But we dined there allmost every night, and we were never tired of it. One night, we went to El Meson de la cava, which was just 2 blocks behind the Embajador. The site was really interesting, but the food second to that of El Jardin del Embajador, although it was twice more expensive. Don't ask me why. Go figure.
When my kids expressed the desire to go to a beach resort, the hotel's staff made all the arrangements (reservations, transportation, etc.) and we spent a few days at the Playa Real in Juan Dolio. We had the most amazing time. The staff (Jose Alfredo, Daniel, and the entire Occidental FUN Club) was incredible. Every little problem we had was dealt with swiftly and with the utmost curtesy. One night, my 9 yr-old son was coughing, and the hotel's on-site store was already closed. But somehow, someone managed to go to a drugstore (although there was none nearby) and brought me back a Robitussin. Tell me if that's not dedication. I wish I could have stayed longer at the Playa Real. The nightly shows were so entertaining; the good thing was that the kids could assist to the shows too. It was all so decent, contrarily to some other hotels that I've heard about. I wish I could have stayed there forever. The buffet restaurant is good, so I decided to eat there during out entire stay. But they also have "a la carte" restaurant, which other guests say are very good. But with the kids, I thought it was a safer bet to stay with the buffet, so they could always try whatever they wanted. When I returned to the Embajador, I wanted to go to Haiti. The staff made all the arrangements, and even got me a rebate on the plane tickets. I ended up paying half of what I was quoted over the phone when I had called the airline. I could go on and on like this, but you just have to try it to understand. Anyone going to DR and who wants to stay in the capital, I would recommend the Embajador. (They even put an extra bed in the room for us, at no additional cost... how's that for service, hmm?) I don't think the Jaragua (which is very pretentious accordign to some testimonies) can top the Embajador in service. If anyone needs any additional info, please let me know. I'll be happy to answer. I've already made plans to go there again next year, and the kids now say that they want to spend all their vacations in DR, thanks to the staff of the Occidental hotels. These guys deserve a medal. The 5th floor staff, and Marisol, and Peterson, (of the Embajador) and Jose Alfredo and Daniel (for the Playa Real), keep up the good work. And see you next Christmas holiday!

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Are you the General Manager of Hotel Embajador?
just wonder!
Sorry, but if this is your first time in DR. how do you know about the services in hotel Jaragua. How can you compare the rest El Jardin with the Vesubio. please com'm.
How somebody being in the 6th floor in The Embajador (which is great of course) will like Occidental Playa Real (one of the worse and cheap resort in DR).
Sorry, but this sounds fishy to me.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The Embajador is "ok". I have stayed there several times, and have had uneven service experiences. They lost my reservations twice, requiring me to stay at the Delta for one night etc.

Not the worst Hotel I've stayed at in SD, but not worthy of a rave review either.