Pop-mhh

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Anybody know of someone who has a private plane ( prop not jet ) that could fly directly from Puerto Plata to Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas ?

Or is this too far for a single engine prop planes range ( I'm not a plane guy )

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's 540 nautical miles and around a five hour flight in my Cessna. I would need to stop for fuel on the way. Probably Stella Maris.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
And make sure you and/or your pilot are up to date on engine-out water landings. Most people fly in formation with at least one other aircraft.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
And make sure you and/or your pilot are up to date on engine-out water landings. Most people fly in formation with at least one other aircraft.

How does one get up to date on water landings? I've never done one, my plane has wheels.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
It's 540 nautical miles and around a five hour flight in my Cessna. I would need to stop for fuel on the way. Probably Stella Maris.

Stella Maris ? Up at the top of Long Island ? ok.

Is this a trip you would be interested in doing ?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

No we don't fly in formation and no,there is no currency requirement for crashing,either on land or water.Practising it makes the plane difficult to use again.
The longest overwater part of this flight would be POP to Grand Turk,less than 30 minutes from land.The rest of the journey follows the Bahamas chain and I have done it quite a few times without feeling the need to crash.
It's a nice flight.