used older car/truck sightings....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
hi anyone seen any 1980's toyota longbed pickups here???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: up to an 87 i think

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
hi anyone seen any 1980's toyota longbed pickups here???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: up to an 87 i think

Dominicans do not like OLD cars\trucks. Have you seen any lately. Their is a poliferation of new vehicles in the streets. I guess they all work for Barrik Gold or are Bottles in the goverment.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Are there exemption rules for importing antique cars to the DR? I've seen one 1980's vintage Corvette and one very ratty MGB. The Vette is owned by the family who developed and operates one of the Lomas Mironas gated communities. I restored MGB's and Triumph TR-6's over the years. Would love to have one here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
.Early English sports cars driving on our roafs? Brings back memories of Lucas electrical systems. Lucas, the prince ogf darkness.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
go lonline. There are many used car websites for the DR. Start with supercarros.com.

yes there are....but there is a flat rate tax and it better be in 95% cond...
i dont want to buy but want to kno what is driven...please if you see a 75 honda car or a original 78 kia motorbike say it here....

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
.Early English sports cars driving on our roafs? Brings back memories of Lucas electrical systems. Lucas, the prince ogf darkness.

That's half the fun. Figuring out electrical problems. Easily solved during a rebuild or restoration. Moss Motors in Kansas supplies dependable new wiring harnesses. I remember the old BSA's and Triumphs I rode. Never went anywhere without tinfoil, fuses, solder, etc. Always knew if I hit rain, something was going to get wet and fail. The MGB eternally mounted fuel pumps were famous for failing if you went through a heavy rain fall. I I like the LBC's (little British cars) because they were cheap to buy and restore. Very simple to work on. No computers, they had points and condensers, etc. Carbs were always a problem to keep in tune but I usually replaced them with a NA made Webber. I liked the cars for their handling and intimacy. You felt like you were a part of the car. Preferred the TR-6. It had 150 HP engine and independent rear suspension. With an Abarth sports exhaust, it had one sweet sound. Actually seen the TR's with Ford 289 V8's transplanted in them. Real sleepers! With a good axle they could blow the doors off some Vettes.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
That's half the fun. Figuring out electrical problems. Easily solved during a rebuild or restoration. Moss Motors in Kansas supplies dependable new wiring harnesses. I remember the old BSA's and Triumphs I rode. Never went anywhere without tinfoil, fuses, solder, etc. Always knew if I hit rain, something was going to get wet and fail. The MGB eternally mounted fuel pumps were famous for failing if you went through a heavy rain fall. I I like the LBC's (little British cars) because they were cheap to buy and restore. Very simple to work on. No computers, they had points and condensers, etc. Carbs were always a problem to keep in tune but I usually replaced them with a NA made Webber. I liked the cars for their handling and intimacy. You felt like you were a part of the car. Preferred the TR-6. It had 150 HP engine and independent rear suspension. With an Abarth sports exhaust, it had one sweet sound. Actually seen the TR's with Ford 289 V8's transplanted in them. Real sleepers! With a good axle they could blow the doors off some Vettes.

I had an Austin Healey bug eyed Sprite. Don't remember which year it was. That car gave me almost trouble as the Pollito I am driving at present. I had to put tire chains on the tires just to get home when it snew and many times that wasn't enuff to get up our long Minnesota driveway. We had to hicth the Chev Malibu onto it with the chain and tow it close enuff to plug in the electric heater so it wold start in the AM.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Their really May to September cars. Kept a TR out one winter and had problems every morning getting it started and they were so light in the rear end, it made winter driving dangerous.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Their really May to September cars. Kept a TR out one winter and had problems every morning getting it started and they were so light in the rear end, it made winter driving dangerous.

Damn right. Once we had a flat tire. We loosened the wheel and then 2 guys lifted the rear of the car while I switched tires.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Damn right. Once we had a flat tire. We loosened the wheel and then 2 guys lifted the rear of the car while I switched tires.

Friend of mine owned a Morris Mini. We used to pick it up and put in in tight spaces he couldn't get out of just to p*** him off.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Dart board maybe?

So it's a crap shoot. Depends on the mood of the customs official and he or she's ability to accept an official document stating the vehicles worth? I doubt they would know the real value anyway.