Cost of living in Dominican Republic?

Person1997

Jan 3, 2016
I have a question. I decided to permanently move to the Dominican Republic and I would like to know something
about the cost of living in the Dominican Republic. Is it expensive to rent some accommodation? What are the
costs of daily life? Is life in DR expensive?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have a question. I decided to permanently move to the Dominican Republic and I would like to know something
about the cost of living in the Dominican Republic. Is it expensive to rent some accommodation? What are the
costs of daily life? Is life in DR expensive?

THere have been half a dozen threads about that over the last few years. One can live on $1200 a month if one lives quiet and doesn't need a lot of entertainment. A 3 bedroom house can be had for $200.00 a month unfurnished. Or even a furnished apartment for that in some clean neighborhoods.
Start out by coming down for a couple of weeks or months and see what we got here. Then think about moving here.
Der Fish

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
$1200 must be with no cable, or cell phone, and no AC..
Sorry , but every Expat I have spoken with, who live there for YEARS have explained that the magic # is around $1700- $1800 a month
to live halfway comfortably with Hot Water, AC, Internet, Health Insurance and a modest mode of transportation or Moto fares , not even a car.
Its funny how they all came up with that exact #., now add entertainment , drinking, cigarettes, and the sky is the limit, easily over $2500 a month.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
THere have been half a dozen threads about that over the last few years. One can live on $1200 a month if one lives quiet and doesn't need a lot of entertainment. A 3 bedroom house can be had for $200.00 a month unfurnished. Or even a furnished apartment for that in some clean neighborhoods.
Start out by coming down for a couple of weeks or months and see what we got here. Then think about moving here.
Der Fish

With all do respect but 200 dollars for your house. IT all depends where but if its in the city ina nice area or in of the the tourist areas you should be thinking more around triple or even 5 times thst housing budget just alone. Derfish i really don't want to see in which place u life paying 200 a month, i can only imagine

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
Person1997, and please tell me, what is the "cost of living in USA" ? will it be the same for a person that loves clubes and lives in LA
and for the person that lives in Oregon and is a lumberjack?
for general question like that, I may give you general answer: services are CHEAP here, accomodation is also usually cheaper (if you dont expect good/great standards), food IS NOT cheaper here than in "rest of the world"
transport is cheap.

Last edited:

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
in DR my minimum was 700 usd/ month, strangely I live in Spain now for not that much more.....and I have a car here (that didnt go broke yet haha)
it all depends man..... on your lifestyle,needs, location..... that's it.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I hope you are not Canadian or anything other than American with $US. If so then maybe you should reconsider.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Sorry , but every Expat I have spoken with, who live there for YEARS have explained that the magic # is around $1700- $1800 a month
to live halfway comfortably with Hot Water, AC, Internet, Health Insurance and a modest mode of transportation or Moto fares , not even a car.
Its funny how they all came up with that exact #., now add entertainment , drinking, cigarettes, and the sky is the limit, easily over $2500 a month.

I rented a place for 2 years near the Mary Rose that included electric (with battery backup), cable, internet, hot water and a pool (no air) for $250 all inc. I have lived on $1200 a month....it can be done. It's not for everyone.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are ten million Dominicans and I believe the mean family income for them is half of my personal Social Security, and we don't see all that many of them dying in the streets.
Their dogs all look hungry, but the kids are all fed and wearing something for clothes. I have an air conditioner in my bedroom and I pay for electricity on top of my $200.00 a month apartment and pay for my cell phone apart as well as gas for cooking.
But it all works out if one wants it too. I do a few things to earn money also.
I read here on this site a couple of years ago someone lamenting that their unemployment in New York paid only $600.00 a week! And that no one could possibly live on that. I asked if he meant per month and he reiterated no, per week!
So ife is as one makes it. Come down check it out. And if you want I will show you around to a very nice 3 bedroom 1700 sq ft house in Santiago for 13,000 pesos. @ 45 pesos to the dollar comes to a bit less than $300.00. Yes you can find a community full of Americans who live in fear behind their 12 ft walls with razor wire on top and pay $1,000 USD per month to rent a house.
Der Fish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My wife and I both have health insurance, car and car insurance, cell phones, cable, internet, water, gas, electricity but no A.C ( Not required most of the time in Jarabacoa) are non-smokers, very light drinks. We don't really budget but without rent we live easily on less than 1000 a month. All about lifestyle. One could easily spend $5000 and not live much better.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
My husband and I have been here for almost 4 years (from the States) our quality of life on our social security is soooo much better than in the US. We do not smoke and go out only occasionally, usually to a local Dominican style restaurant and we have our beer and wine at home (much cheaper) We have found a very reasonable apartment, very secure with no air (no needed) wonderful pool and grounds, and we live on 1200 US at the high range, per month and bank the other social security check at a nice interest rate. We shop for fruits and vegetables with the locals and do not buy "gringo" special food in the grocery store. We have a Dominican washing machine and have found that our initial purchase at IKEA has provided good quality furniture (minimal pieces, couch, 2 poang chairs, table and chairs, bed and storage unit for TV) which is still in excellent condition. Shopping locally and preparing your own meals with the abundance of fruits, vegetables and local meats our life is happy. Included in our 1200 are all utilities, cable internet, gas for the car, water, car, health and auto insurance along with any prescriptions we m ay need. We have a great mechanic and repairs are so much cheaper than in the states. Our rescue dog is the best dog we have ever had! Life is what you make it....We love our island!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I rented a place for 2 years near the Mary Rose that included electric (with battery backup), cable, internet, hot water and a pool (no air) for $250 all inc. I have lived on $1200 a month....it can be done. It's not for everyone.

It's not for everyone is the most important sentence yet in this thread. Yes, you can live on the cheap, but some would consider that suffering and not living.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If one stocks up up on expired Bumble Bee, and runs a Sanky fan off the neighbor's luz, I think $200 all in is realistic, maybe splurge once a week on a plato de dia @ Batatica.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Depends where you want to live and what lifestyle you want. Speaking for the Capital, it is expensive but again what is it you want out of life? Many ask the question here but don't stick around for the answer.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Living in a nice part of the Capital and keeping up with the Dominican Joneses takes big bucks. If you are happy living with lower income foreigners and poorer Dominicans in the North Coast or in a nice part of El Cibao you could probably do it on a lot less.
It depends what your priorities, if you value free time for hobbies and family and enjoy the beach or the mountains and are happy eating healthy but simple you can stretch your money out a long way.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Come with no expectations that life is like a resort and you will be fine. This lifestyle is not for everyone, however, remembering the days of continuous power and tap water does not want me to leave the tranquility we have found....I was born and raised in Detroit and crime here is just crime...not rampant....the internet has provided more availability to hear about the crime. Watching the US news out of NY and Miami proves this point. ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE AND GO WITH THE FLOW, I do admit we have been visitors to this country for 12 years prior to our move, first on resorts and then in various cities and Dominican communities....resort life is vacation ....island life is a dream you can make come true if you are able to open your mind and heart and adapt!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I don't know how you could live in the DR on $1200. and be happy,not saying it isn't true,I just don't know how you do it. My monthly budget and expenses comes to $2500.,I keep track of every peso. My rent is $500. but I don't cook much so my restaurant/bar bill is quite high. I'm quite happy here overall.