Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor of visa free travel to USA jams passport offices

Today I went with my wife to renew her expiring passport. She has a 10 year visitor's visa to the US, so it actually makes sense for her to have a passport.

When we got to the Puerto Plata office, it was packed with people. It took all day to get the passport renewal process started. People were coming from Santiago at 4 AM and waiting for the office to open.
    The office in Santiago is reportedly overwhelmed, so they travelled to Puerto Plata. What was going on?

We found out why. PICHARDO posted a story about someone asking nicely to the US Government to allow Dominicans to travel to the US visa free. PICHARDO posted it as if it were a fact that this would actually happen. Somehow word got out to the Dominicans and they are all now rushing to passport office to take advantage of this. With one problem. Visa free travel for Dominicans to the US is about as likely has the proverbial freezing over of hell. It is not going to happen just because someone asks nice for it.
    Yet the result is a rush for Dominicans to get passports. I don't care how nicely you ask for this, the answer is NO! Can you spell gullible?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The need for a birth certificate added another day to the passport renewal process. Note to Dominicans who like to make up stupid regulations. If you have a passport, you already proved you had been born in the DR or were naturalized. But yet again, a new legalized birth certificate is required to renew a passport. Stupid is as stupid does. Go ahead and link the Cedula data base to the new and amazing digital passport data base and to the even more incredible digital birth certificate data base and don't waste peoples time.

3. Likes Gringo Starr, beeza liked this post
    *** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Stupid is as stupid does. Go ahead and link the Cedula data base to the new and amazing digital passport data base and to the even more incredible digital birth certificate data base and don't waste peoples time.
    You forgot that we are in the country where the dumbest people on Earth live.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

People tend to think these things are true because "fulano" said they did it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

people actually believe Picardo? All along I thought he was comic relief. P.T. Barnum was right. Love the b.c. needed along with the old passport. Only in the DR

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't see what the true clever idea behind that "announcement" was. Increase the state revenue from passport fees!

8. Likes Gringo Starr, Wishing you well liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    But yet again, a new legalized birth certificate is required to renew a passport. Stupid is as stupid does. Go ahead and link the Cedula data base to the new and amazing digital passport data base and to the even more incredible digital birth certificate data base and don't waste peoples time.
    My wife renew her passport in the POP office in the end of January. No documents apart from the receipt of payment from Banreservas was needed. They checked the passport, and confirmed that she had already everything correct in the system. Whole thing took us a bit less than 2 hours, which was mostly waiting.

In this case the links and databases seemed to work perfecty. Perhaps there were too many people there?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it wasn't necessary anymore to legalize a birth certificate?!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    I thought it wasn't necessary anymore to legalize a birth certificate?!
    My wife has relatives that do not know when nor whare they were born! What do you do in a case like that. Maybe they are from Mars!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless I missed something, the thread Pichardo started was about visa free travel to schengen/euro countries

Administrator
    DR1.com

13. Likes bob saunders, AnnaC liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast