Love was invented by the French!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
- (Oleg) Welcome to Turkmenistan! Are you here for drinks or for girls?

- (Touritst) Hehe...I am sure we will have some drinks, but we have girlfriends at home.

- (Oleg) So?

- (Tourist) But Oleg, do you not believe in love?

- (Oleg) Love was invented by the French. They were too cheap to pay for prostitutes.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
- (Oleg) Welcome to Turkmenistan! Are you here for drinks or for girls?

- (Touritst) Hehe...I am sure we will have some drinks, but we have girlfriends at home.

- (Oleg) So?

- (Tourist) But Oleg, do you not believe in love?

- (Oleg) Love was invented by the French. They were too cheap to pay for prostitutes.

Perfume also!
So they could do without a shower/bath for 3 months....... :p

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Perfume also!
So they could do without a shower/bath for 3 months....... :p

So can anyone.

Who needs friends anyway......

The French invented the Pomander,an orange with cloves stuck in it, which was carried by ladies to ward off the smells emanating from unwashed people.
At that time, most people in the world considered that washing oneself was inherently unhealthy and should be avoided.

Once one of the Louis (so many so don't know which one) decided that bathing was a Good Thing.they took it to extremes and washed almost once a week.

The Brits,and North Europeans, meanwhile,didn't even have water above minus 5 so avoided contact with it. (It's solid).
America was but an embryo,wallowing in disease and misery at the time.

The French also had one of the first special areas for ones excretory needs called 'Le Lieu' which became 'The Loo' in English.

Aug 6, 2006
The French also had one of the first special areas for ones excretory needs called 'Le Lieu' which became 'The Loo' in English.

=======================================================
I think the British word "loo" for bathroom originated in Cockney rhyming slang, in which the second part of a term is used to refer to the first.
The British called the bathroom "The Water" The Victory of the British at of Waterloo made that word a common one, and so the bathroom became the "loo"
The French word the "the place" is also 'le lieu'. So this could also be related.

The most common bit of Cockney rhyming slang in American English is the term Raspberry, when referring to a vulgar sound one makes with the toungue and lips. The words that this is derived from is Raspberry Tart, which os course, rhymes with fart.

I have visited France and had a French girlfriend for four years. I have not noticed that the French are any dirtier or smellier than anyone else.
In Mexico, the unwashed are referred to as "los inglesitos", by the way.

It is true that Europeans bathe less than Dominicans or Mexicans as a rule. This is because one sweats less in Europe, due to the climate.
Dominicansseem to bathe more than anyone else I have noticed.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Graffiti on a pay toilet;

Here I sit broken hearted,
Paid a dime and only farted!