Popularity of Americans throughout Latin America

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Americans are considered "Money Trees" to a lot of Dominicans.
Sadly that was my thought as well. Skewed numbers, not as much love for Americans but understand they bring money as tourists well become easy robbery targets.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Poll question:

Do you like U S Dollars?

Yes: 84%
No: 0%
Too drunk to answer: 16%

I don't they're all the same size and colour. It's quite boring money really.

Now Swiss francs, they look priddy
swiss-francs.jpg

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
http://www.economist.com/news/ameri...iplomacy?fsrc=scn/fb/te/pe/ed/dugoutdiplomacy.

Its seems DR is at the top some 84% like Americans. The author doesn't understand the high number since USA has imposed their power here on many occasions. He feels may be the baseball connection, what else could it be?

Why? When over 20% of the DR population lives in the USA and then half of the other pie travels to and from the same each year, you get the picture. If the Diaspora in the USA was considered a province of the DR it would be the second largest city population.

Surprising? Hardly an enigma...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Americans and allies are the gold standard for freedom and opportunity

You hit the nail on the head. This country is visited by a large number of Americans and Canadians all year long and they are a constant supply of money and goods. A large number of Canadian and American expats live in the DR. A lot of NA cities have large DR communities in them. A lot of the foundations working in the DR are NA based. The baseball connection is strong between the DR, Canada, and the USA. Religious organizations in the DR have links to NA as well. All the pieces fit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think dominicans are friendly towards all foreigners (haitians excluded). they know so little about the world they have very few preconceived misconceptions about other nations... unlike, say, the foreigners do.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
does not seem to work so well in the case of people like the Mexicans. Yankee go home, and the like.

Not unlike the rest of the world, as long as America offers economic opportunity they will love it and as long as Americans are @$$holes they will hate them...behind their backs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not unlike the rest of the world, as long as America offers economic opportunity they will love it and as long as Americans are @$$holes they will hate them...behind their backs.

exactly. it has nothing to do with proximity...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I can't imagine that proximity and familiarity would influence perceptions...Intellectual genius...smh.

actually, you did not say anything about influencing perceptions. you said that it would increase favorability.

one does not have to be an intellectual genius to know that those are two different notions. just in case it escapes you, sometimes proximity makes for unfavorable perception. just ask the people who live next to the discotheque.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes but in this context the topic is favorable perceptions. Proximity is definitely a factor in my opinion and depending on the subject at hand it does influence in both directions, positive and negative.

if you feel that way...fine.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have lived in several amazing and stimulating countries with diverse cultural aspects and fascinating environments as an ex-pat for the last 40 years and the DR is the first one with a substantial and influential US presence.

It is frighteningly depressing.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Wrecksum, Not wishing to add to your fears here, but there is also a covert US presence hovering over the DR and the Caribbean in the form of a surveillance satellite. It's used for drug flight surveillance, marine vessel surveillance, and many other unknown activities. Big brother is definitely watching.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Definition of above: An American who gets mad and calls "thief" when stolen from!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes but in this context the topic is favorable perceptions. Proximity is definitely a factor in my opinion and depending on the subject at hand it does influence in both directions, positive and negative.

The resort I stay at is a cultural microcosm. I've observed how the DR staff treat people from numerous countries and cultures. If the resort clients treat the staff with respect, it's usually returned. Granted the staff have to do this to keep their jobs, but I notice that they are mostly sincere when doing this. They have a fascination with Americans, black and white, they are very friendly towards Canadians and I think they perceive us as being slightly different from Americans. Europeans are treated much the same regardless of which country they are from. Two former US Marines stayed at my resort a while ago. The male DR staff were in awe of them. A machismo thing I guess.