Sosua Bee Keepers

Aug 21, 2007
Since the season is changing, with drier air and winds beginning, I have been experiencing serious allergies (again.) I have read that taking local honey helps to develop immunity to the allergen. In lieu of taking meds, I would like to take this approach, if it works.

Anyone know a local Sosua bee keeper who sells honey?

Lindsey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Not quite local but Fresh Fresh in Sosua sells Abreu honey. Make sure you clean a/c filters and blades of ceiling fans great collectors of pollen and dust

Aug 21, 2007
Not quite local but Fresh Fresh in Sosua sells Abreu honey. Make sure you clean a/c filters and blades of ceiling fans great collectors of pollen and dust

Yes, I do clean A/C filters.....just last week, in fact. And fans are on the once a week schedule. I am okay when the A/C runs, it's when the wind blows in my windows at home and work when the A/C is NOT running that causes the greatest problems. (dust and pollen)

As we all know, A/C is too expensive. Thus, looking for a solution to the real problem.

Will check out the Abreu honey at Fresh Fresh. At this point, anything is worth a try.

Lindsey

(And I clicked "like" on your post, but it showed as "dislike." Hmmmmm. Clicked again, and the option disappeared altogether. Of course, I didn't "dislike" your suggestion, Abuela.)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
The Honey Company - says it's in Cabarete at Ocean One. I can't remember the woman's name, but they are terrific. She delivered to me by meeting me one time at Playero, another at CMC. Maybe someone here remembers her name and contact information.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's the pollen you need to ingest, as i hear it.
Not the honey itself.....or maybe that's for bee stings.

That honey will come from Cabrera/Abreu, most likely.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Since the season is changing, with drier air and winds beginning, I have been experiencing serious allergies (again.) I have read that taking local honey helps to develop immunity to the allergen. In lieu of taking meds, I would like to take this approach, if it works.

Anyone know a local Sosua bee keeper who sells honey?

Lindsey

You need to start with the local honey a few months before the season changes, in order to build up immunity. Since there's always something in flower in this country, you probably would benefit from using local honey as much as you can all year. And the word is the more local the better, bc you want protection from local pollen. My kid & I have pretty severe seasonal allergies (in addition to mine to wool and lots of antibiotics), and we had very good success using honey from a farm that was less than a mile from our home in CT.
You may also want to look into manuka honey from New Zealand. It's not cheap, and it's sold on Amazon.