Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question domincan driving licence

I heard, that foreigners need after living here for more than 3 months a Dominican driver licence.
    Since I'm originally from Germany, I have a European international driving license - do I really need additional the Dominican licence?
    If yes, what is the easiest way to get the required licence, what do I need and how much does it cost?

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican drivers license

Your foreign (or Non-Dominican ) driver's license is only valid for 90 days to drive in the DR. If you leave and come back into the country, the 90 day clock has been restarted.

To get a Dominican driver's license , you must first have a DR cedula, and you can only get a cedula by being a legal resident of the DR.

Why bother getting a DR license? Should you have an accident while driving, and you have been here longer than 90 days, you are going to the pokey (i.e. JAIL) because you have broken the law.

I am not sure of the effect on your car insurance while driving without a valid driver's license, but in many other countries, that usually means you aren't covered anymore by the insurance as well, and you are responsible for the damages personally. I defer this response to Sr Guzman.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your quick reply...
    I am a legal resident of the DR with residencia, cedula...etc, own my own car, and I am not going back to my origin country every 90 days... so I guess I NEED the dominican driving license, specially now, when the AMET police is so picky and at some check points on the highway stops to control almost every 2nd car.
    So, what do I have to do, where can I get the licence?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation einfach und nicht teuer

Gehe zu einer Fahrschule und melde Dich da an. Somit hast Du ersteinmal eine Bescheinigung mit der Du fahren darfst. (Anmeldegebühr 500,- RD ) Den Rest mus dann die Fahrschule für Dich beantragen. Die Gebührenmarken für alles in allem sind 3000,-RD incl. Anmeldegebühr. Das Ganze dauert 6 Wochen oder auch 1/2 Jahr !
    Gruß Christina

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Gehe zu einer Fahrschule und melde Dich da an. Somit hast Du ersteinmal eine Bescheinigung mit der Du fahren darfst. (Anmeldegebühr 500,- RD ) Den Rest mus dann die Fahrschule für Dich beantragen. Die Gebührenmarken für alles in allem sind 3000,-RD incl. Anmeldegebühr. Das Ganze dauert 6 Wochen oder auch 1/2 Jahr !
    Gruß Christina

Babel translation:

Go to a driving school and announce you there. Thus you have firstonce a certificate with which you drive may. (registration fee 500, - R) the remainder of mash then the driving school for you request. The revenue stamps for all in all are 3000, R inclusive. Registration fee. The whole takes 6 weeks or also 1/2 year! Greeting Christina

Christina,
    Are you talking about the DR or Germany? Don't think she needs a driving school.

Quaqualita, Check the archives, there was a recent discussion of this. good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HERE THE RIGHT ANSWER!

I just got today my driver license today. I am dominican, but i had US driver license. So, the procees will be the same for you.
    just follow this steps and you will get you DL in 2 days. (maybe 1, if you move fast)
    Step 1- You have to go to the foreign consulate from where you are (germany in your case) to get a letter that certify that your DL is authentic. this took me 2 hours and 20dlls (american consulate)
    Step 2- with the letter from your consulate you have to go to Relaciones Exteriores (Cancillería) just next to Hotel Santo Domingo in Ave. Independecia. they will legalize that the letter from your consulate is valid. the cost is 405.00 pesos and it takes 2 hours.
    Step 3- With your cédula, you have to go to the banco the Reservas and pay the taxes. i will recomended you to go to the bank located in the same building where you gonna get the DL. Direccion General de Transito Terrestre in Ave. Tiradentes close to the Estadio Quisqueya.
    you have to pay taxes for:
    Expediccion licencia de conducir = 70 pesos
    Cambio de licencia extranjera to Dominicana = 20 pesos
    Carnet de licencia de conducir y foto integrada = 100 pesos
    Examen medico = 40 pesos
    Tipo de sangre = 25 pesos
    1 formulario = 50 pesos
    1 formulario = 35 pesos
    Step 4- with this formularios go to the door with the sign Examen Medico (this took me 1 min.)
    Step 5- go to the door with the sign Cruz Roja. for the blood test. (5 mins. )
    Step 6- go with all this documents to the Judicatura door. and they will sign these documents.
    Step 7- with this document signed you are ready to get you pic. and DL.
    Step 8- now you are ready to learn how to drive.
    Welcome to the JUNGLE!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to el jefe

no I'm talking about the DR. but in the drivind shool they give the dom. licens if they see the germen one without any test . She only need to buy stamps and the papers will do the shool.

DR1 Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

John, el único is on the right track. The requirements as published by the Ministry of Public Works are as follows:

1) A valid license from a foreign country.
    2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the D.R. stating that the foreign license is valid.
    3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs ("Secretaría de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores").
    4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application, with residency visa or work permit OR Cédula
    5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
    6) Medical exam and blood test.
    Last edited by Fabio J. Guzman; 02-06-2002 at 08:42 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

wow....lots of information. Thanks to all of you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks John,El unico

John,El unico
    Thanks John, El unico, Just followed your advice (to the letter) and exchanged my UK licence for a DR licence. It took me 4 hours, (maybe a new record?????). I even got to keep my original UK licence. Thanks for the post great information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast