how to survive semana santa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
COE will start their yearly "safe easter" program on thursday, 24th of march. thousands of police, military and volunteers will assist in this operativo.
meanwhile DL offers some basic advice on how to stay safe during this chaotic time:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...r-si-piensas-viajar-en-semana-santa-NK3084069

short summary below.

before leaving:
check doors and windows;
close gas tank and water supply;
disconnect electronics that do not need to be on;
let trusted neighbours know you are leaving and ask them to keep an eye on anything out of the ordinary;
take an extra copy of house keys;
take travel and personal documents such as driving licence and health insurance card.

traveling:
check the car (breaks, liquids, tires);
have first aid kit with you;
take some car tools (jack, cables to jump start the car);
don't drink and drive, if you feel tired or sleepy stop to rest;
note emergency numbers for the area where you will stay;
don't forget money and credit/debit cards;
don't use your phone when driving.

at the beach:
make sure you check the list of beaches and rivers closed by COE;
keep an eye on your kids;
use sun protection;
hydrate yourself.

list of beaches closed by COE can be checked here:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/coe-200-balnearios-y-playas-cerrados-para-semana-santa-YM3079436
emergency numbers for POP:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/152643-emergency-numbers-for-POP
first aid kit suggestions:
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy

stay safe, folks.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I always wondered where peeps are going on that holiday???

A lot of people come from the cities to the beach areas. Cabrera is a completely different town during Semana Santa, as are all the beaches in the area.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I always wondered where peeps are going on that holiday???

This year thanks to the free visas to the US, all the peeps will be going to disneyland.
All accomodations anf flights booked on-line, courtesy of their kids personnal school laptops.
Furthermore all expenses will be dealt with using the all-mighty e-pesos, at an exchange rate of 28:1, its an opportunity of a life time to meet Mickey, Minnie and co.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oh, and I nearly forgot, the armada of borded killer-drones were reassagined to house protection for semena santa, so all can fly off, mind at peace.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A lot of people come from the cities to the beach areas. Cabrera is a completely different town during Semana Santa, as are all the beaches in the area.

Same on south coast. I dread it because we live in a beach town. Hoards of people, it's a nightmare.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The capital should be nice and empty. :) Nevertheless we'll stay at home as much as possible...

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The capital should be nice and empty. :) Nevertheless we'll stay at home as much as possible...

In the rest of the World this is a religous holiday. No drinking no loud music.lots of praying In the Dominican republic. Barachoo is the theem of the day with music so loud it can be herd in germany. Fornicate as much as you can by viragra now before the price goes up. If you need some extra money for rum rob your neibhors house. Its the biggest happy holiday of the year and they did not invite GOD!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In some parts of the world it is a religious holiday. It was never much of an event in the US aside from the chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I must agree, stay home... Crowded beaches, drunk people, loud music, even more crazy drivers..nothing relaxing about that.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Buy all your groceries now. Get earplugs. Don't go to the beach. Stay home, and just grit your teeth and count the days.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We always stay at home. When we lived in the capital it was a treat. In Punta Cana not so much, because the hordes descend on us.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Buy all your groceries now. Get earplugs. Don't go to the beach. Stay home, and just grit your teeth and count the days.

When does all this foolishness end? Easter Monday, March 28th? Had to return to Canada because of family medical problem. Arrive back in the DR on April 04th.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Playa Najayo and Playa Palenque were/ are like zoos today. We went early to Palenque, on the beach by 11, and it was SRO not long after. Got back to Najayo about 5, and had trouble even getting onto our road. The music is still blaring and they're still partying.

We won't leave the house from Thursday to Sunday, but we'll have lots of company from SD

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Playa Najayo and Playa Palenque were/ are like zoos today.........

LOL, how about some pics peeps?

I have spent one Semana Santa in la rep dom and that was last year. It was peaceful as I remained in Santo Domingo Centro and everyone else got out of town and hit the beaches. It was like a week of quiet Sundays in the city.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Flew back into SDQ this afternoon from Nevis via SXM, but earlier in the day I had a request from a Client to spend this week on business duties on a quiet tranquil paradise island of about 1200 residents with the best untouched beaches in the Caribbean

Fly out on PAWA in the morning to Antigua and then a short hop over to the sister island....returning PAWA Friday to a no doubt near deserted Santo Domingo.......until Sunday night.

Now that was a lucky escape from the Semana Santa madness that starts shortly imo!