Semana Santa staff bonus?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I was working at the hotel, we always gave the staff (only 3 people) a small Semana Santa bonus. Like 10% of monthly wages. I always supplemented it with an additional personal 10% because they were so great. They've been there for 30+ years. Yeah. Same staff. The ama de llaves came as a skinny-as-a-toothpick 15-year old and has been there ever since. Dominican mgr has been there since he was hired at age 17 to be the cook for the bldg crew. So it's sort of an incredibly special core of people whose work needs to be rewarded.

But I'm not at the hotel any more.

Now the only "staff" I have is my maid. I share her with a friend. She is also a seamstress, she irons, and if I could teach her how to manage a kosher kitchen, she's an amazing Dominican cook. My apt. is small and she only spends 4-6 hours a week here. But I trust and love her. For a single client, is 20% of monthly wage too much? I was thinking a quick $500. (I pay her $3k a month.)Should it be $600?

Last edited:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you can depend on her and you trust her, I think your right. My maid, comes 1 day a week. She has a key. Checks my place when I'm not here. My friends say I pay her too much. This is not the US. Someone you can trust is priceless.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't give anything extra. they get time off for easter, that's it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We will pay extra this week because we will have a lot of guests coming and going, so more work. I agree with Mmle - a few extra pesos goes a long way. To her it's about $15US, to the maid it's a big deal

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Friday is a national holiday, so if they work that day they should get extra. Otherwise, as DV8 says, they get the time off anyway.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I sometimes give our helper an extra RD$500, especially if she's put in some extra work e.g. when we have guests and they haven't given her a tip themselves, or when she has some extra expense for health/family issues.
I wouldn't specifically say "this is for Semana Santa" so as not to set a precedent, but "here's a small gift as a thank you for your extra effort".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Friday is a national holiday, so if they work that day they should get extra. Otherwise, as DV8 says, they get the time off anyway.

also, bear in mind that our maid gets time off but she is paid as if she worked. so i guess it's a bonus of sorts.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
also, bear in mind that our maid gets time off but she is paid as if she worked. so i guess it's a bonus of sorts.

I wouldn't consider that a bonus. No more than paid holiday off. A bonus would be a few extra pesos to spend on her day off.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
When I was working at the hotel, we always gave the staff (only 3 people) a small Semana Santa bonus. Like 10% of monthly wages. I always supplemented it with an additional personal 10% because they were so great. They've been there for 30+ years. Yeah. Same staff. The ama de llaves came as a skinny-as-a-toothpick 15-year old and has been there ever since. Dominican mgr has been there since he was hired at age 17 to be the cook for the bldg crew. So it's sort of an incredibly special core of people whose work needs to be rewarded.

But I'm not at the hotel any more.

Now the only "staff" I have is my maid. I share her with a friend. She is also a seamstress, she irons, and if I could teach her how to manage a kosher kitchen, she's an amazing Dominican cook. My apt. is small and she only spends 4-6 hours a week here. But I trust and love her. For a single client, is 20% of monthly wage too much? I was thinking a quick $500. (I pay her $3k a month.)Should it be $600?

Damn girl you've got a big problem
If you feel from your heart you have to give her something then why break your head over whether to give rd500 or rd600? I don't think it's gonna break you ;)