Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Laptop

Best way to ship a laptop to the DR from Canada?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Save up some money to pay Customs!

Seriously, a new laptop will incur major customs duties. If you ship through a forwarder like Business Mail or EPS, you will also pay, but the process will be slightly easier.

Shipping direct via a service like UPS or DHL will cost serious money, not only for the shipping but also for clearance.

When I was new to the DR, I was tasked with purchasing some computers for our offices and told to purchase in the US. I did so, and it took SIX MONTHS to get them out of Customs. As a favor to a friend, I allowed the use of my Business Mail address for the delivery of a laptop purchased in Florida. The shipping, including Customs, was almost six thousand pesos when the US dollar was at 20.

3. Likes Andrea Duguay, frank12 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    Save up some money to pay Customs!

Seriously, a new laptop will incur major customs duties. If you ship through a forwarder like Business Mail or EPS, you will also pay, but the process will be slightly easier.

Shipping direct via a service like UPS or DHL will cost serious money, not only for the shipping but also for clearance.

When I was new to the DR, I was tasked with purchasing some computers for our offices and told to purchase in the US. I did so, and it took SIX MONTHS to get them out of Customs. As a favor to a friend, I allowed the use of my Business Mail address for the delivery of a laptop purchased in Florida. The shipping, including Customs, was almost six thousand pesos when the US dollar was at 20.
    This is my old laptop from Canada. Not a new one. Does that make a difference?

Post Thanks / Like

You're shooting craps with customs here, you never know what they'll decide...........
    Everything is new to them........

6. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe best if I wait for a friend to visit and have them bring it for me then I guess.

8. Likes spmc, HUG, bob saunders liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live? I fly into Santiago/Puerto Plata every other weekend. Extra laptop, no problem.

10. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    Where do you live? I fly into Santiago/Puerto Plata every other weekend. Extra laptop, no problem.
    I live in San Isidro. But I would gladly take a bus to Santiago/Puerto Plata to pick it up. Where in Canada do you fly out of?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Meet some Canadians who come here, have them bring it with them. I picked one up via Best Buy at my hotel stop over in TO and just included it in my carry-on.

13. Likes KateP, Andrea Duguay, TP666 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

just let someone bring it down, no problem.........no box.......

15. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Duguay View Post
    I live in San Isidro. But I would gladly take a bus to Santiago/Puerto Plata to pick it up. Where in Canada do you fly out of?
    I'll PM you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast