Laptop

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Save up some money to pay Customs!

Seriously, a new laptop will incur major customs duties. If you ship through a forwarder like Business Mail or EPS, you will also pay, but the process will be slightly easier.

Shipping direct via a service like UPS or DHL will cost serious money, not only for the shipping but also for clearance.

When I was new to the DR, I was tasked with purchasing some computers for our offices and told to purchase in the US. I did so, and it took SIX MONTHS to get them out of Customs. As a favor to a friend, I allowed the use of my Business Mail address for the delivery of a laptop purchased in Florida. The shipping, including Customs, was almost six thousand pesos when the US dollar was at 20.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
Save up some money to pay Customs!

Seriously, a new laptop will incur major customs duties. If you ship through a forwarder like Business Mail or EPS, you will also pay, but the process will be slightly easier.

Shipping direct via a service like UPS or DHL will cost serious money, not only for the shipping but also for clearance.

When I was new to the DR, I was tasked with purchasing some computers for our offices and told to purchase in the US. I did so, and it took SIX MONTHS to get them out of Customs. As a favor to a friend, I allowed the use of my Business Mail address for the delivery of a laptop purchased in Florida. The shipping, including Customs, was almost six thousand pesos when the US dollar was at 20.

This is my old laptop from Canada. Not a new one. Does that make a difference?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You're shooting craps with customs here, you never know what they'll decide...........
Everything is new to them........

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Where do you live? I fly into Santiago/Puerto Plata every other weekend. Extra laptop, no problem.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Meet some Canadians who come here, have them bring it with them. I picked one up via Best Buy at my hotel stop over in TO and just included it in my carry-on.