Safety in the north coast of dr

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Considering your experience as expats in DR, we want to ask some general info about safety.

Survey just to understand before coming down in DR for inspection, how to manage the safety problem (keeping a low profile as do not wear jewelry do not go out with a lot of money etc.etc are basic behavior we know already).

Areas of our interest : North Coast of DR , Sosua, Las Terrenas or Cabrera or Cabarete or area nearby.

1) Go (walking or by bicycle) to supermarket or shops during day time or evening time and alone, is it dangerous?

2) Ride a bicycle to the town or nearby during day time or evening time and alone, is it dangerous?

3) If i have to choose between: buy (or rent)
a) an apartment in a condominium with security, in downtown or nearby suburbs
b) a small townhouse or detached house in a village with security, in downtown or nearby suburbs
c) buy a land and build a small house with fence and keep a dog as guard, in downtown or nearby
suburbs??
..which option do you choose and why?

4) Is generally safer to live in a small fishing village or a local village in the north coast, instead big town?

5) Using taxi service (car or motorcycle) how safe is? Any issues about drivers? Robbery?

6) Walking alone on the beach early in the morning, is it dangerous?

7) Problems of extortion and bribery with police? Even though you did not do nothing wrong?

Thanks to all people want to share points of view.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
1- no
2- yes can be
3- none of these options, bought a house in a community without security
4- i don't know, tried Santo Domingo and Sosua, no problem in both cases
5- for me no problem
6- never has problem on beach
7- make police your friend and sometime pay them 100 pesos for their gas !!!! :cheeky:

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
we are nearby a small town but fairly isolated. We have done our due diligence with property and personal safety issues. we own our house but rented for 6 months first. I wouldn't want to to be on a bycycle anywhere in this country,- a lot of drivers are eratic, and the roads are dangerous.Our police "extort " us,- small amouts and infrequently and with friendliness. In our Canadian town the police used to have fundraisers that everyone contributed to,---here the fund raising is a little different,--just go with it!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Bicycles are dangerous here. Agree with the previous post re police although in 16 yrs were asked for money once. We live a gated community in Sosua and feel safe. We are happy to be a little way away from the fumes, motos and general chaos of downtown Sosua. Peace and quiet can be elusive here. Don't buy anything or even put down a deposit without consulting a lawyer recommended by this forum. There are 2 good ones in town that most people use.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. walking is fine; i cycle in costambar but going on main roads is not recommended until you are more familiar with driving here.
2. not recommended, see above.
3. it does not matter which options poster chose, many have been coming here for years before setting down, others have family here; for newcomers the best is to rent, if you have the budget try a condo, a house, change areas to see what you like best.
4. the biggest "town" on the NC has about 150k inhabitants :) "small fishing villages" are not likely to have reliable power, internet and water supply. not to mention that this is such a cliche and totally not what you paint it to be with those words :)
5. taxis are safe; personally i do not like motos but many love them here.
6. no problem
7. i never had issues but there are some people who seem to attract unwanted attention of every man in a uniform here...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Where are you from? Safety is a case of is it safer here than where you are from. If you are from Baltimore or Boston it is probably safer here, If from Bute or Billings probably safer there at home.
If you are from Miami or Memphis you'll find it safer here. if from Maplewood or Mendota it is probably safer at home. Many people here ilvein fear and cringe behind 12 ft fences and razor wire.
Normal people walk or drive down the street as if back home.
Der Fish

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Bicycling in or around town (city) is more dangerous than walking around wearing jewelry.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Take the parable of my dog. She was a German Shepherd that lived to chase cats. However, if a cat showed no fear and held its ground, she would just ignore the cat with a good measure of disgust. In her eyes, there was nothing worse then a cat that wouldn't run.

Take reasonable precautions, don't act like scared rabbit, and you'll be fine.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Been wintering on the North coast for years. Never worried about my safety in the cities or the countryside because I respect the culture and the people. I rent cars, use the local buses, taxis, etc. Never use motos. I see people bicycling in groups, mountain bikes, road bikes, etc. Rarely do I see non DRs peddling bikes on the road here.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lived two years in Charamicos, Sosua. Only danger I encountered was boredom.
Don?t walk (or ride) around anywhere on the north coast acting or looking like you
are wealthy and you shouldn?t have any problems.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
1. No
2. Could be dangerous at night - if other drivers don't see you.
3. An upper floor condo with security is probably safest, but I guess that would apply anywhere in the world.
4. No - I wouldn't think so.
5. No probs, except possibly is you take a moto-concho in the middle of the night.
6. No
7. Unlikely

Don't believe everything the fear-mongers say. Just be sensible and you should be fine.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Don't talk about biking until you see the area, there are two kinds, an area where if you are assaulted you are on your own, Puertos plata, Sosua all have a very large amount of motor bike traffic, would you want to ride in this?

https://youtu.be/xpan78Tz6Mo?t=172

I'm not saying you can't do it, if you are near an AI you might have easy access to low volume roads, or your local neighborhood, might , might be ok, but judge for your self it does not take a genius to figure out where you can and can't ride.

FYI, house should be locked down before bed time. Avoid night travel as a general rule unless as a short trip with a group.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
5) Using taxi service (car or motorcycle) how safe is? Any issues about drivers? Robbery?
It's frequently difficult to find the seat belt in the back seat of a Dominican taxi. If you consider being charged 25% or more more than what can be negotiated robbery, then yes, so talk price right away.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Been riding a bike around here for the past three years,4500 Kms and so far, still allegedly alive.I do avoid busy times and the main roads as much as possible during periods of heavy traffic.Not fun at all, but many ride all day all over the island on the roads so it depends on ones tolerance level.

Common sense in all areas is an absolute necessity together with the knowledge that you have no rights at all as a cyclist and just live with the imbeciles and assassins of the street.
I don't carry any bling or a great big gun and not really had any problems other than needing very good brakes and fighter-pilot reactions sometimes.

Like everywhere,there are places you walk at night and others where it would not be a good idea but these are fairly obvious after a few weeks on patrol.In the day time I walk anywhere.
I personally will never ride a motoconcho again but that's a personal preference.

There is something about the world's cheapest motorbike,not,or horribly maintained,driven by an untrained suicidal and homicidal rumhead macho with no education or sense driving like a maniac whilst talking on the phone and listening to voices in his head whilst being catapulted into the middle of the Dominican particle accelerator, populated by random other homicidal maniacs, at light speed, called local traffic which puts me off.
Can't think why...

I prefer to have a large chunk of metal around me which I am actually controlling myself.

As for safety in living quarters,
It's not an easy answer.The richest places get done over and so do the poorer ones.I would guess that campo life would be safer if you could stomach it.
I don't feel at risk particularly here,but compared to,say,Switzerland,it's a tad more risky.
But that adds the spice..