Best Technical School for CEL PHONE Course

latitude19

May 29, 2011
My wife's nephew wants to take a Cel Phone repair course in Santiago. Think it would be good for him, as the educating he is receiving in Esperanza is poor. He won't be going to college. He can barely write a sentence. He seems like a relatively smart kid, though.

Am wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows of a good (or, preferably, the BEST!!) technical school for this.

I asked Radis what the earnigs are for this job. He said 5,000 per week. That seems high to me, anybody have an idea?? And also for job prospects. I'd guess he'd like to remain in Esperanza. ..thanks!! ...tomas

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Are there really schools for cell phone repair? YouTube and a phone to practice on seems like all you need.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My wife's nephew wants to take a Cel Phone repair course in Santiago. Think it would be good for him, as the educating he is receiving in Esperanza is poor. He won't be going to college. He can barely write a sentence. He seems like a relatively smart kid, though.

Am wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows of a good (or, preferably, the BEST!!) technical school for this.

I asked Radis what the earnigs are for this job. He said 5,000 per week. That seems high to me, anybody have an idea?? And also for job prospects. I'd guess he'd like to remain in Esperanza. ..thanks!! ...tomas

Sorry, but reading and writing is the key to any job. If he is not proficient in these than it will be extremely difficult to tackle a job that requires additional skills.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Sorry, but reading and writing is the key to any job. If he is not proficient in these than it will be extremely difficult to tackle a job that requires additional skills.

I was exaggerating a bit when I said he could not write a sentence, solely that he cannot write w/o spelling errors, which is common in at least 60% of Domiicans, if not more. I did not say he could not read. I am looking to help this person out. A comment like yours offers crictcism only and no help, why post it?

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write. That helps immensely, especially as I personally know so little in this area. Your comment makes a lot of sense.

If he really wants to focus on cell phone repair you'll should have him start with learning basic electronics and then do a follow up on radio communications electronics and make sure the course or series includes cellular radio communications.

As someone who earns a living broadly in this space I can tell you that if you really want to help the kid out have him start to focus on learning the software angle of mobile technologies including mobile phones instead of the electronics repair angle.

Cellular electronics is basically a throw away commodity and fixing a phone ,if it is to be done, simply involves unplugging an old component and plugging in the new one. Virtually anyone who knows basic electronics can repair a cell phone...hence not much real significant future value in the skill. On the software side the sky is really the limit for potential future earnings.

If the terms I used do not make sense Google the definitions for mobile cellular hardware and mobile cellular software to get started having a better understanding.

Sorry I do not know much about the education institutions here in the DR but once you locate them you can ask about the concepts mentioned above to see what they offer.

Lastly just from a pure learning perspective their are lots of great sources that can be leveraged on the Internet. I don't think they have a Spanish version but one of the best free resources is the Stamford university series on the IPhone.

Good luck and hope you are able to help the kid get into this very lucrative filed which will have the potential to provide him with a decent income for the rest of his life.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Cell phone brands come with each their own "courses" (more a support-thing).
His best "course" is Youtube; believe me, everything is there but.....most of it in English so first he will need to learn English, not the Dominican Yol-way!
Good luck!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Do you know approximately what time frame it would take to complete the classes you recommend?? Thanks!!

If he really wants to focus on cell phone repair you'll should have him start with learning basic electronics and then do a follow up on radio communications electronics and make sure the course or series includes cellular radio communications.

As someone who earns a living broadly in this space I can tell you that if you really want to help the kid out have him start to focus on learning the software angle of mobile technologies including mobile phones instead of the electronics repair angle.

Cellular electronics is basically a throw away commodity and fixing a phone ,if it is to be done, simply involves unplugging an old component and plugging in the new one. Virtually anyone who knows basic electronics can repair a cell phone...hence not much real significant future value in the skill. On the software side the sky is really the limit for potential future earnings.

If the terms I used do not make sense Google the definitions for mobile cellular hardware and mobile cellular software to get started having a better understanding.

Sorry I do not know much about the education institutions here in the DR but once you locate them you can ask about the concepts mentioned above to see what they offer.

Lastly just from a pure learning perspective their are lots of great sources that can be leveraged on the Internet. I don't think they have a Spanish version but one of the best free resources is the Stamford university series on the IPhone.

Good luck and hope you are able to help the kid get into this very lucrative filed which will have the potential to provide him with a decent income for the rest of his life.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My step son did a chef's course at Infotep and it was excellent and very professional so I would recommend any courses there. They also have good links with employers.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Infotep course are free or almost free. Every time we pay our Social Security to the government we also pay a fee to infotep and that's what pays for the teachers/courses.