Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bullet proof Dominicans

I live in the countryside and the family went fishing after preparing the meal they asked me if I would like some I asked what type of fish and found out it was puffer fish I went into shock. I sailed around for 6 years before I ended up here one of the fish I understood was poisonous was the puffer fish. The person who caught the fish said he eats it all the time. Either they are very lucky or the puffer fish in this area are not poisonous. Does anyone have more information on these fish?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost all pufferfish contain tetrodotoxin, a deadly toxin that is up to 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide. The poison in one pufferfish is enough to wipe out 30 humans, and there's no known antidote. Yet, many people eat it.

Fugu or puffer fish can be lethally poisonous due to its tetrodotoxin; therefore, it must be carefully prepared to remove toxic parts and to avoid contaminating the meat.

The restaurant preparation of fugu is strictly controlled by law in Japan and several other countries, and only chefs who have qualified after three or more years of rigorous training are allowed to prepare the fish. Domestic preparation occasionally leads to accidental death.

Fugu is served as sashimi and chirinabe. Some consider the liver the tastiest part, but it is also the most poisonous, and serving this organ in restaurants was banned in Japan in 1984. Fugu has become one of the most celebrated and notorious dishes in Japanese cuisine.

So, if you are eating locally prepared puffer fish, you have to ask yourself, "Am I feeling lucky today?"

3. Likes TP666, Garyexpat, zoomzx11, jstarebel liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

So what would be the Spanish name for this fish? Just making sure I avoid eating one...

5. Likes dulce, sixsticks, caribmike liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The Japs eat alot of this fish don't they? Delicacy, apparently. Must be damn nice meat to be worth the risk. Never seen it in a Dominican Restaurant before though.

7. Dislikes Meemselle disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

pez globo and puerco espín de mar in Spanish from what I could find. Here in the DR, they may have a different name.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUG View Post
    The Japs eat alot of this fish don't they? Delicacy, apparently. Must be damn nice meat to be worth the risk. Never seen it in a Dominican Restaurant before though.
    Chefs have to undergo three years of training before serving it in Japan. In the DR, probably 3 seconds.

10. Likes HUG, caribmike liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans call them pez guanamina (sp???)

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Dominicans call them pez guanamina (sp???)
    Pez guanabana

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch them quite often while fishing. They've got a set of nasty looking chompers, so I takes the pliers to them and throw them on the bank. It says something when even the pelicans won't touch them.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Thanks, I was spelling phoenitically because Mr AE wasn't here to ask.

Makes sense, the fruit has the same little spikes.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast