Scheduled Flights from PC to Saman??

photogoat

Mar 24, 2016
Hi, we are SOOO excited about spending 6 days in DR next week! We have chosen the Saman? Pen. to be our focus for those days. In order to keep from losing a precious day on each end getting there and back, we are looking at flight options from Punta Cana.

There seem to be at least 3 operators but only one online hints to a daily flight. (dominicanshuttles) 8AM daily

Does anyone know if there are any other (daily) flight options (trying to beat $350 Roundtrip per person.)

We could book those seats now or wing it when we get in. I know how sometimes people can save big purchasing on the spot with DR pesos instead of USD over internet. We will feel foolish if we get there and see people jumping on the next plane over for 1500 pesos or something.

Thanks DR1

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi, we are SOOO excited about spending 6 days in DR next week! We have chosen the Saman? Pen. to be our focus for those days. In order to keep from losing a precious day on each end getting there and back, we are looking at flight options from Punta Cana.

There seem to be at least 3 operators but only one online hints to a daily flight. (dominicanshuttles) 8AM daily

Does anyone know if there are any other (daily) flight options (trying to beat $350 Roundtrip per person.)

We could book those seats now or wing it when we get in. I know how sometimes people can save big purchasing on the spot with DR pesos instead of USD over internet. We will feel foolish if we get there and see people jumping on the next plane over for 1500 pesos or something.

Thanks DR1

Well if you make sure your $300+ flights are fully refundable, go for it!

photogoat

Mar 24, 2016
Thats a good thought. They do have a 48 hour 100% refund. I don't guess that will help me out much if I miss out on the "buy a ticket when you get there" approach.

photogoat

Mar 24, 2016
PC was cheap. And the layovers were horrible too. UPDATE: there are no flights via Dominican Shuttle on Sunday. It looks like we will be taking a bus to the ferry is the fastest trip. The new and improved DR-104 (via Miches) looks like a nice trip but I'm not sure if any buses are running that way yet. Anyone know?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Consider this:

Option 1: Go to airport at Punta Cana, check in, clear departure procedures, wait for boarding, board, fly to a Samana airport, complete arrival procedures. Say 2 to 3 hours overall each way . Cost $350 round trip per person.

Option 2: Hire taxi, drive to Sabana de la Mar on new highway, time arrival to meet Samana ferry, take ferry, arrive Samana. Time 2.5 hours overall each way . Cost $450 round trip everybody in group of 4. Bonus......a day visit to Parque Los Haitises becomes possible without boat day trip from Samana. I was told there was a 9am and 11am ferry from Sabana in the morning a year ago at the pier there (new pier now being built) 200rd per person each way. Need to confirm.

http://www.puntacanainternationalairport.com/images/services-airport/pdf/taxis-rate-2015.pdf Taxi rate for up to 4 persons is $200 one way from airport. Suspect you will get better outside the airport now the new road is opened. and the journey should take just over one hour.

Which airport El Catey or Samana?

photogoat

Mar 24, 2016
option 1 is that Dominican Shuttle offering online right? I just chatted with the boss there and they said no flying on Sunday after whale season. Bummer. We will consider option 2 or bus on Sunday before we waste a day and two nights in tourist town PC.
So what about a bus station with several daily trips to Semana Del Mar? How do locals pay for a $200 taxi to get there? Is there only guaguas for locals?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If you arrive at Punta Cana at a reasonable time, bite the bullet and get a taxi to Paraiso Cano Hondo which should take 1.5 hours on the new road and according to airport taxi prices will cost you $200. Use the guaguas on the way back.

https://www.tripadvisor.es/Hotel_Re...r_Hato_Mayor_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRSzrWdAgQU

https://paraisocanohondo.com/es/

Spend the following morning on a private boat tour of the mangroves on Rio Hondo into Bahia San Lorenzo and visit the gorgeous islands, the pirate and taino caves and the old banana wharfs within the Parqueo los Haitises which is the secret of the North East. Check with the hotel about the ferries but you could time it right to catch the 3pm or 5pm crossing. It may not be the type of accommodation for some so I have attached the above links and you can contact the hotel to confirm ferry and book a morning excursion.

You will be arriving in Santa Barbara de Samana late afternoon and can get a guagua to Las Galleras or Las Terrenas or even a taxi. There are a couple of decent hotels in Samana too.

If you are the adventurous type why not head to the Dominican Tree House which is half an hour away and near the most idyllic beach on the peninsula Playa La Valle. http://dominicantreehousevillage.com/ It has it's own zip line through the jungle too.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You may want to rethink your port of entry into the DR. Have you already booked your flight?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Why is nobody suggesting hiring a car at PC and then driving to Samana? It's 2 hours back to the outskirts of the capital, easy drive. Pick up the highway to Samana, another 2 hours. 4 hours and you have the vehicle to travel around in. However can you tour the Samana peninsula without a vehicle? You will need a car, so may as well hire one at PC and drive up there.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Why is nobody suggesting hiring a car at PC and then driving to Samana? It's 2 hours back to the outskirts of the capital, easy drive. Pick up the highway to Samana, another 2 hours. 4 hours and you have the vehicle to travel around in. However can you tour the Samana peninsula without a vehicle? You will need a car, so may as well hire one at PC and drive up there.

Because driving in the DR, particularly for a neophyte, is not a good idea. Now, I will agree that from PC to Samana is not as problematic as driving in the interior and certainly not as problematic as driving in the larger cities. And driving around the peninsula would be a fantastic addition to a DR experience. But, for a newbie, well ... I'm not so sure.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
To go around in Samana you need a car. Just rent a car.

All roads in Samana are ok. From Punta Cana to Samana or Las Terrenas without any problems in less then 4 hrs.
With stops for pee and drink.

If you rent a car, check if tires are ok and if the car has all equipment to replace a flat tire. Also a spare tire.
On the highways now also service in case you have a problem or flat tire.

Driving a car in DR is not a problem. Driving a bike or quad is more dangerous. Correct, Dr is number one in accidents.
For sure someone will tell you that here. But more then 50% from these accidents are motors/scooter accidents.

When taking the PC to Samana road, bring enough pesos for the toll roads. Think around 1500 -2000 pesos.
When you are on the new highway Santo Domingo to Samana, entering area Los Haitises, lots of curves and going up and down.
When its raining there take care.

For the rest, enjoy the trip and Samana.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks DR1

I am not aware of any flights within the DR. If you are pursuing this I would call this airline and make sure their on line info is correct. Where are you flying from into Punta Cana and I guess I am missing something here? Why would you fly into Punta Cana becasue the price is good than look to spend another $350 per person on another flight?
Wing it when you get in? Sorry to say this but I don't think you really have an idea how things work in the DR. Do you have any Spanish skills to be able to travel on public transportation. Where are you staying on the Samana Peninsula?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Don't know of any regular flights PC to Samana.There are some operations PC to Arroyo Barril airport,the small domestic one nearer to Samana, but I have no idea about their regularity.

You could contact TAS aero Services maybe.