Power outage in Sosua / Cab could be a while

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A very large tree fell down into the road by the entrance to Maranatha this morning, blocking the main road for a while. It also took out the power lines, snapping three transmission line poles.

Looks like a big job to get power restored. For those of you running on batteries, conserve them.

Why they used wooden poles instead of concrete ones is beyond me. They took down a load of concrete poles and replaced them with wooden ones not that long ago. It's interesting to see all these power poles leaning at precarious angles along the North Coast road!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just went by there while going to the airport and back. They are indeed replacing the poles and have started to restring the power lines. Hopefully it will be done before tomorrow.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Have watched them replace a transformer around midnight about 4 years ago. They had 2 people holding flashlights while one was on the metal ladder! We tried to suggest they turn the truck a distance and angle that would provide light but it got too complicated! Hope they remain safe working on this

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
From my experience, the poles are/were the easy thing to replace. I went to and returned from the airport about 12 today..........from Sosua and it took me an hour. The picture doesn't do it justice. That mangled mess of metal, insulaters, and wire might take a bit. Here's hoping for a 'quick' fix.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is true, the mangled portion looked more like something out of a scene from a "Transformer" movie.

Jul 28, 2014
At least some poor bugger didn't get electrocuted like about a year ago when someone was working on power lines in Puerto Plata , then some genius made them live when the worker didn't know and he got fried.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now if they would just leave the power on. Everywhere. All the time.

I know, not likely to happen in my life time.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I believe that to prevent or mitigate the effects of another major distribution fault, EDNORTE has purchased a large number of electric tanker trucks and will supply directly to those desperately in need.

At a price, of course.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't know why they're not underground, like in normal places like New York.

because DR isn't a normal place LOL :p

I am quite sure the cost of underground installation has a LOT to do with it. Not only would the main feeder lines have to be installed underground but also every house, condo, apartment, store, etc., would also need underground installation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, it's the costs. they only do it occasionally. i have seen a street with underground cables. every whatever number of meters has a register with a certain capacity of meters.