google voice + hangout = free american phone

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ever-since google announced more than a year ago that it will no longer support 3rd party apps to log on to google voice,
many apps (example: groove ip) moved on to other projects and offered their own service with new american number provided.
the services became paid services and complicated. One particular app that worked like magic in android platform was groove ip.
this app worked with your existing google voice number and made and received calls and sms for free from anywhere in the world.
Then all of the sudden they came out with their out private service where they forced you to get an american line number from them and start paying for the service.
this kind of ruined it for me because now I was unable to use my old google voice number.
fortunately google voice never stopped support for the 3rd party apps and the old apps continued to work (including hardware like OB1 etc). The bad news was, the goove Ip app had already changed and the only old version 1.4.8 was able to work with your google voice number, the newer versions asked you to get a new number.
The other problem was that the grooveip 1.4.8 only works well with android OS upto kitkat 4.4.2. If you install the app in lollipop 5.0 then the apps doesn't transmit audio. so the app becomes useless. I was forced to use my phone only on kitkat formware.
now the update: I got myself a new LG phone which already came with lollipop OS. since my groove Ip was not working well so I decided to use hangout app to link it with my google voice number. you have to download hangout app + hangout dialer. now in dialer you must activate incoming calls in your gmail account. just click on setting and click on your account and then activate incoming calls.
now you are all set. the app works like a charm and sends and receives calls like magic.
I am a happy customer once again.
AZB

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I tried to get Drro to download Hangouts and the Dialer last year, but it didn't work for her.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I tried to get Drro to download Hangouts and the Dialer last year, but it didn't work for her.

it works very well. I have tried it on 3 cell phones so far.
Like I said, you must activate incoming calls in hangout dialer in order to receive calls.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So the old GOOGLE VOICE app is no good?

I have Hangouts working.
Can I make FREE local 809 calls if I sign up with an 809 number?

I have a 917 number working to call USA numbers for free.

Nevermind*** WHATSAPP works just fine for free!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
it works very well. I have tried it on 3 cell phones so far.
Like I said, you must activate incoming calls in hangout dialer in order to receive calls.
AZB

I've been using it for almost two years. I couldn't get Drro to get it to work when she had a conflict with her Magic App and an Android update.

Sep 4, 2012
I've had Groove IP + Google Voice number for years and still working with Lollipop. I also have hang out and dialer, both working at will.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Why does nobody listen to me? We use WhatsApp here bc it's free and we guard our minutes as if they were virgins or something. But the price in the US is like less than $12 a year? It's not taken off in the US, bc you spoiled brats have plans with unlimited minutes. But for Latin/South America/Europe, it's THE thing. We can text and talk and call and send fots and have all kinds of First World fun, but none of youse want to play.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
free calling etc.

I never had any luck with Skype in this country, and my new favorite thing is Facebook calling. You call/text to make sure your intended is also on FB and you can voice call/video call until you run out of breath. I am devoted. I live in Sosua and have a son in LA. We FB call twice a week. For free. I find the quality of calls to be far better than Skype.

Jan 17, 2009
WhatsApp is great but only works if the person you're calling has the app. Google voice allows you to call any number, including land phones, same as MagicJack. Don't like quality of FB calls though.

I use them all. Google Voice with OBI at home and iPhone, Magicjack, WhatsApp, FB except for Skype, I just don't like the interface.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So the old GOOGLE VOICE app is no good?

I have Hangouts working.
Can I make FREE local 809 calls if I sign up with an 809 number?

I have a 917 number working to call USA numbers for free.

Nevermind*** WHATSAPP works just fine for free!
Whatsapp is great and very popular within the Dominican people, almost everyone I know use this application.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I just dialed a land line with WhatsApp successfully.
How can I dial a land line number? I will be able to cancel an international calling plan if this is possible.

Explain please!

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How can I dial a land line number? I will be able to cancel an international calling plan if this is possible.

Explain please!

JJ

NOOOO, I tried a 212 number from a 917 number is what I was able to dial.
You could try an 809 WhatsApp number dialing a DR landline???
WhatsApp to WhatsApp is free.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Well my problem is to communicate with my old people in DR as they don't do Whatsapp only land lines, will have to stick to my T-mobile international calling plan.
my fee is $10. bucks a month which allows me to do unlimited land lines calls.

I call every day to my family!

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Well my problem is to communicate with my old people in DR as they don't do Whatsapp only land lines, will have to stick to my T-mobile international calling plan.
my fee is $10. bucks a month which allows me to do unlimited land lines calls.

I call every day to my family!

JJ

$10 UNLIMITED International is a great deal, you're fine.

I hope you are doing well JJ!

tio tambo'