Vaccinations needed for DR travel?

kes5874

Feb 4, 2002
Don't know if anyone can help... I can't find any info....

I am traveling to DR for the first time in late Feb. Are there any recommended vaccinations that I should get before leaving? I need a tetanus booster anyway... is there anything else? A friend recommended the Hep B series but 1) it's too late to start and 2) I think it's overkill.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Vaccinations

Health Canada still recommends a polio booster ( actually it is a whole new polio shot).

For protection against Hep A, e.g. from contaminated water etc., you can get nearly immediate immunity from gamma globulin .

You are right for B, which is important for sexually transmitted Hep B, you get 3 shots in total, one right away, one a month later and one 6 months later. You have nearly full immunity after the 2nd and as close as you will get after the 3rd.

TwinRix is a HepA/B combo in one syringe. It is expensive.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to drink out of ditches, sleep with "just about anyone" , and party insanely in unknown places with unknown "new friends" then I would suggest you don't even come here.

Normal, fun loving and happy vacations are going on all the time and not many people get sick, unless you call a case of the trots being sick.

1)Eat no food off the streets
2) Eat nothing you don't peel yourself.
3)Drink only bottled water-cheap and abundant
4) Do not trust ice outside of the hotels.
5)Rum does not kill bacteria (damnit!!)

have fun and stop being a worry wart!

HB with a smile

kes5874

Feb 4, 2002
Thanks to all for your tips. I think I'll just get the tetanus booster and tempt fate in regards to Hepatitis.

Thanx for the Hep comments Hillbilly. I forgot that Hep B was contracted through blood/sexual fluids. So I guess I will have to halt my usual practice of shooting up with dirty needles and having unprotected sex with complete strangers... at least while in DR! ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You got the idea, dude!!

Just have fun, man the Presidente is soooo good, and the party is non-ending.

Have fun,

HB