ferry from DR to PR?

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Hey all,

While teaching English in the DR last year I talked to a store owner in Hato Mayor who said there was a ferry from somewhere on the eastern coast of the island that goes to PR and back (for valid visa/passport holders only). My questions are the following:

1-Is there any truth to this and if so then what are the details (location, cost, times, etc)?
2-If true, does anyone know whether the new US passport cards (as opposed to the traditional passport book) would be accepted for this non-aerial entry to/from US territory?

Thanks,
-D

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Okay, thanks then. Looks like AC Ferries says that passport cards are accepted in addition to regular passports. Good to know!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
If you take the ferry to PR and you are an American citizen who lives in the DR is there an overstay fee to go to PR or is there a fee reentering the country other than the tourist card. We have a 2 year visa however unsure if there would be an overstay fee when going to a US territory from the DR and I would assume coming back would be simple tourist rentry????

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Thank you, I have heard so many conflicting stories but I thought if you had the visa it was ok and there would be no fees
THANK YOU AGAIN

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey all,

While teaching English in the DR last year I talked to a store owner in Hato Mayor who said there was a ferry from somewhere on the eastern coast of the island that goes to PR and back (for valid visa/passport holders only). My questions are the following:

1-Is there any truth to this and if so then what are the details (location, cost, times, etc)?
2-If true, does anyone know whether the new US passport cards (as opposed to the traditional passport book) would be accepted for this non-aerial entry to/from US territory?

Thanks,
-D

I would not think the passport card would be accepted by the DR. It is designed to be used to enter the US. You probably could use it entering PR but I doubt the DR would accept it if you are returning there.

Jan 17, 2009
Despite what the paragraph below says (which I believe is poorly worded), it just doesn't make any sense for anyone to get a passport card if it's only valid for entry in the US. It must be valid for land and sea travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. Else, how do you enter any of these countries if it is valid only to return to the US?

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air." https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The question that comes to my mind is how did the OP get here if all s/he has is a passport card?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Despite what the paragraph below says (which I believe is poorly worded), it just doesn't make any sense for anyone to get a passport card if it's only valid for entry in the US. It must be valid for land and sea travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. Else, how do you enter any of these countries if it is valid only to return to the US?

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air." https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html
I have a passport card that I had never used, just wondering if there is any ferry from Florida / Puerto Rico...

That would be perfect if I can drive from NC to Florida then go to P.R. and D. R.

I hate airplanes!

JJ

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have one, and I live here in the DR.
It is not good for international travel,but GREAT as a "ID" card here in the DR, and in the USA, probably everywhere else too.
It is like a credit card and fits in your wallet, unlike a bulky passport.
It it is lost or stole,..."So What"/
Your "BIG PASSPORT" is safe in your home.

"GET ONE" next time you renew your passport!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The question that comes to my mind is how did the OP get here if all s/he has is a passport card?

"FISH",....."think outside the box"!!!!!
She NEVER said that ALL she has is the card now did she.
Like me, and a few million others she likely has BOTH!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have one, and I live here in the DR.
It is not good for international travel,but GREAT as a "ID" card here in the DR, and in the USA, probably everywhere else too.
It is like a credit card and fits in your wallet, unlike a bulky passport.
It it is lost or stole,..."So What"/
Your "BIG PASSPORT" is safe in your home.

"GET ONE" next time you renew your passport!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
That's exactly why I got it, it was only $30. Dollars.
If I travel out of state I take it with me as it's a bio metric document.

I heard it takes up to three day for the police to run a background ck out of your state of residence.

JJ

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
That website doesn't list prices. Says llamar.

Curious if anyone knows the base price, as in not bringing a car, not renting a room.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
DV8's prices are round trip. My cousin used it 3 years ago and it cost hi $100.00 from PR to Santo Domingo.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have a passport card that I had never used, just wondering if there is any ferry from Florida / Puerto Rico...

That would be perfect if I can drive from NC to Florida then go to P.R. and D. R.

I hate airplanes!

JJ

There are no ferries from Florida to PR. There is a ferry from PR to the DR. You can go on line and search for ferry from Santo Domingo to PR.