Is it illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is it illegal to remove a ventilator from a patient in a DR hospital ?

Can family members make that decision with the physician?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

No it is not illegal. We removed our grand mother from life support after the doctor told us she will not live without it. She passed away 4 hours later.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It would be a very unusual law and hospitals would be full of people being kept artificially alive for many years after there was no hope.

Jan 9, 2004

It is likely not illegal in the DR, perhaps our DR legal expert can weigh in.

It however may be unethical for a Doctor to make that decision based on his/her Hippocratic Oath to "do thy patient no harm."

An additional question might be, are Advanced Care Directives or Living Wills recognized in the DR?

And without some sort of Advanced Care Directive or so called Living Will, family members may have differing opinions on what should happen to the person if such a situation arises.

The Quinlan case in NJ and the Schiavo case in Florida illustrate the need for people to have Advanced Care Directives and/or a.Living Will in place.....especially if all family members do not agree on what life sustaining measures should be used. And while neither of those two situations are DR related, they do raise important questions for those with family in the DR, or those expats retired here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

It's illegal for a non-direct family member closest to the patient to do so after evaluation and agreement from the doctors and hospital's administration.

For underage patients, the parents or legal guardians are the only ones able to do so legally.

Able to:

Parents, siblings, their adult sons/daughters, grandparents (guardians), spouses, etc...

All the time with the doctor's approval ONLY.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you all for your responses. A family member is being kept alive on a ventilator in SD, and yesterday someone told my husband they "can't" disconnect it (40-something nephew was shot 4x, one in lung). The way it was said he thought maybe it was illegal. My first thought was that it couldn't be, but then had thoughts about church influence on government here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AE, that is so terrible on so many levels. Sorry to hear the family is going through this and wishing them strength and peace.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sorry to hear about the loss. Are they earning each day the machine keeps him alive, probably a bigger influence than the church?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I believe the only time someone should be removed from a ventilator is when the doctors have
confirmed there is no brain activity (brain dead)

I think it's so important to have a living will just in case something happens the person
has in writing how they would like their wishes to be carried out.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thank you all for your responses. A family member is being kept alive on a ventilator in SD, and yesterday someone told my husband they "can't" disconnect it (40-something nephew was shot 4x, one in lung). The way it was said he thought maybe it was illegal. My first thought was that it couldn't be, but then had thoughts about church influence on government here.

If the Doctor says he's brain dead, then there's not point to continue on the ventilator.

It's not illegal for the next of kin (in charge of the hospital bill btw) to disconnect with the say of the Doctor that things will not change for the patient.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
He has died from the gunshots. The police have been less than helpful because he was still alive. Maybe now something will be done, as the shooter was identified early on and they have security video of the entire attack.

RIP Manolo

Status
Not open for further replies.