My Ultimate Dream: Photograph The Women of The DR

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
I have been reading and watching video about the DR for 10 years now, kids grown divorced retired and ready for a new adventure to close out my life......I don't speak Spanish and know no one in THe DR, but I'm going anyway. First thing I'm do is find someone to teach me Spanish and learn the country & follow all the good advice I've read from Andy, Dave and others ...............I'm scared but excited made my flight into Punta CAna before I REALIZED it was 235 miles from Sousa flight is April 11 my plan is to get a apartment for round 300 keep my mouth shut and learn from the expats, because I'm black I figure that they will not know if i'm a gringo till I open my mouth !! where in Sousa is a good place to have coffee & meet EXpats ??

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Funny first post, and I mean that in a good way.

Forget Andy and dave. But do talk with other expats, you'll get some good guidance. In Sosua: Checkpoint bar, Rocky's, New Garden restaurant, Britania, Fraggle, jolly roger. There's more, but those are a good start.

And everybody will know you're a gringo even if you don't open your mouth. Good luck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They will absolutely know you are a gringo. We have clients that make the same error by flying into Punta Cana. For you it is just a small step on a new adventure. Welcome and take some great photos. Hopefully you are fully retired and self-sufficient and do not need to work in the DR.

Good advice above on how to network with people.

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
They will absolutely know you are a gringo. We have clients that make the same error by flying into Punta Cana. For you it is just a small step on a new adventure. Welcome and take some great photos. Hopefully you are fully retired and self-sufficient and do not need to work in the DR.

Good advice above on how to network with people.
am
love this ha ha I live that, yep pretty self sufficient, not looking for no job I'm 61 I saved my money and also had parents who left me a inheritance so life is good i'm frugal
you say they'll know I'm a gringo hmmmmm well you might be right but let test that idea lol, see you guys next week

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
windeguy
you might be right, I don't see how they would know if I dress like them and don't open my mouth ?? well you are the experienced one so I will honor that, thanks for all the info

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
am
love this ha ha I live that, yep pretty self sufficient, not looking for no job I'm 61 I saved my money and also had parents who left me a inheritance so life is good i'm frugal
you say they'll know I'm a gringo hmmmmm well you might be right but let test that idea lol, see you guys next week

Enjoy the good life!
I would not be advertising my finances on the internet, there are a lot of stray dogs "vira latas" both on the internet and on the ground that will want to be your friend.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have been reading and watching video about the DR for 10 years now, kids grown divorced retired and ready for a new adventure to close out my life......I don't speak Spanish and know no one in THe DR, but I'm going anyway. First thing I'm do is find someone to teach me Spanish and learn the country & follow all the good advice I've read from Andy, Dave and others ...............I'm scared but excited made my flight into Punta CAna before I REALIZED it was 235 miles from Sousa flight is April 11 my plan is to get a apartment for round 300 keep my mouth shut and learn from the expats, because I'm black I figure that they will not know if i'm a gringo till I open my mouth !! where in Sousa is a good place to have coffee & meet EXpats ??

I think you will find DR1 very helpful (at times) regarding the do?s and dont?s.
I know both Dave and Andy. I would say Andy gives far better advice as Dave is
currently rotting away in jail in CR for refusing to follow mine (and many others)
Lots of black folks in Sosua. Good luck with not letting anyone know you are a gringo :p

Welcome to Wonderland!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yea, I want to shoot the women of the DR a lot of the time, too.

Good luck with your fantasy that nobody will know you're a gringo. Gringo is more than skin color; it's a state of mind.

Why you'd want to meet ex-pats (especially American ones) is beyond me. If I wanted to hang out with Americans, I'd still live there. But as has been duly noted on this board, I am not a very nice person, so don't go by me.

But welcome to DR-1 and enjoy Sosua. It's not easy to live in this Dusty Whore Town, but it does have some advantages. As in, yes, you will be able to find a decent place to live for US$300 a month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Good luck with your fantasy that nobody will know you're a gringo. Gringo is more than skin color; it's a state of mind.

Why you'd want to meet ex-pats (especially American ones) is beyond me. If I wanted to hang out with Americans, I'd still live there. But as has been duly noted on this board, I am not a very nice person, so don't go by me.

But welcome to DR-1 and enjoy Sosua. It's not easy to live in this Dusty Whore Town, but it does have some advantages. As in, yes, you will be able to find a decent place to live for US$300 a month.

Great post from an alternate perspective!!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
They will suspect you are a gringo but will not have a clue from where (in most cases). Since you have decided to hang in a tourist spot, locals have had some general experience with foreigners, and they are looking for and expecting you....In the campo you might have a better shot at blending in....

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Andy? is The Hobo Traveller?
Dave? is Cuba Dave?

Better to get advice from others.

The advice about keeping your personal finances to yourself is spot-on and applies to other expats as well as Dominicans. There are some good, decent expats for sure but alot are garbage.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

I hear this a lot and always wonder how long have they actually lived here and still prefer to just hang out and have interesting discussions with locals

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, you've been reading about DR for 10 years and only now realized that punta cana is a long way from sosua? i predict a bright future in DR for you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
so, you've been reading about DR for 10 years and only now realized that punta cana is a long way from sosua? i predict a bright future in DR for you.

Now that is a very encouraging comment.
Talk about pi$$ing on a guys cornflay!
Maybe The OP thought Puta and Punta Cana were close?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe The OP thought Puta and Punta Cana were close?

260fzac.gif

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
Travelling from Punta Cana to Sosua

How are you planning to get from Punta Cana to Sosua?
I suppose you can rent a car at the airport and return it at the Sosua airport, just need to make sure that the car rental company allows it. I estimate that it would take 5 and a half hours without traffic to drive this distance. Maybe you'll want to make stop in different cities and do some sightseeing. Make sure you request GPS.
Another option would be to take a taxi but you'll probably be charge close to $US300.
Finally, you could take two buses to get to Sosua. One from Punta Cana / Bavaro to Santo Domingo. And then from Santo Domingo to Sosua.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
This post is not passing the "reasonable person" test for me. I am thinking sock puppet.....