Would the new Tesla model 3 work in the DR?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Elon Musk has just revealed the latest model to the Tesla range, the model 3 and the price tag starts at $35,000. That brings it in range to more mortal beings at less than half the price of the gorgeous model S, which I've hankered over ever since I saw one in a NY mall.

I very much admire Mr Musk, I think he is going to single-handedly revolutionize the motor industry for the better. The fact that all his technology is open-source is tantamount to it.

But how would a Tesla fair in the DR? In my opinion, very well. The main feature of it being virtually maintenance free would be a big bonus, as I fear very few Dominican mechanics would be able to comprehend the complicated technology underneath.

But a car powered and built on nothing more than sunlight, what's not to like?

https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SUNLIGHT"?????????
Most electricity in the USA, and the rest of the world is from carbon fired/fossel fuel generating plants.
"Get a GRIP"!
The DR is building two more as we speak.
They ARE COOL however, but in the DR, no way!
They would just steal it for the batteries,(K Invertor!!!!) and put in a gas engine.
I have been here toooooooo long, I am thinking like a dominican!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You need to put down $1000 dollar deposit, AND MAYBE the cars will be built in a year and a half, maybe, with the waiting list, you could have one in about 3 years, MAYBE, for about 48,000 thousand

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also was going to post about this car. It will probably be one of the best cars in that price range ever made, if not the best. If you get one here, despite being made in the US and supposedly part of the DR-CAFTA free trade agreement, they will find a way to screw you over with registration and title fees until the price is 40% more or about $49,000 US.

The plant where they are making the lithium ion batteries has the largest foot print of ANY building in the world (not the most volume, but the area of that foot print).

I do think it will be a few years before anyone sees their car delivered.

It is nice to think that power comes from sunshine. In fact it does frequently since in addition to solar panels or wind turbines, fossil fuels got their original "energy" from sunshine. So "green cars" are hardly ever powered by totally "green power".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The roof of that particular car could be an issue here. The entire top of the car from the wind shield to the rear window is one piece of glass.

I am sure they have figured out how for this not to be a problem in hot and sunny parts of the world, have they not?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You did know that as of yesterday the amount of the deposits was over $1 billion dollars, not bad for a pie in the sky car that is yet to be built

Jan 7, 2016
The Model S started down the same shaky road to delivering the first units, but for the people able to get one, it was the eye-opening experience of a lifetime. My wife's nephew has one and the damned thing will cruise down the highway at 80-90 mph without a hand on the wheel or a foot on the throttle. Reminds me of the Jetsons when I was a kid.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I believe $7,500 US tax credit still applies to the car but are there any charging stations in the DR?

There is a free charging station 20' from where my car is parked but it was installed for free and the company got a tax break for it. Only person I ever saw using it does not work here.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Well, it runs on electricity and electricity here is more expensive than anywhere else I can think of. And, the electricity here will be coming from coal fired generating plants and we still don't know where all that toxic ash is going to wind up. You might be able to hold the taxes down to twice its purchase price if you don't let on how many computers there are installed in it to run it.
How's the wiring in your house ?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
An alternative...slightly more expensive (4times)...BMW i8 (haven't seen one here yet)

75567_2016_bmw_i8.jpg

Jan 9, 2004
Elon Musk has just revealed the latest model to the Tesla range, the model 3 and the price tag starts at $35,000. That brings it in range to more mortal beings at less than half the price of the gorgeous model S, which I've hankered over ever since I saw one in a NY mall.

I very much admire Mr Musk, I think he is going to single-handedly revolutionize the motor industry for the better. The fact that all his technology is open-source is tantamount to it.

But how would a Tesla fair in the DR? In my opinion, very well. The main feature of it being virtually maintenance free would be a big bonus, as I fear very few Dominican mechanics would be able to comprehend the complicated technology underneath.

Pre-orders are at 250,000 units in just two days....a sales phenomenon any car company would be envious over.

According to the auto reports I receive, the average selling price will likely be $ 42,000.00...as this includes battery upgrades to extend the range to 215 miles, more or less, and a $3,000.00 rapid home charger to avoid an all night need to be plugged in using a conventional electrical outlet.

While driver satisfaction is high, the reliability of the S model has been substandard with numerous issues involving the drivetrain, hardware not functioning properly, and leaks....lots of leaks....especially in the sunroof area....as well as malfunctioning electrical on board screen components.

While most of it is still under warranty.....the question becomes who would or could service them in the DR. The mechanics and electronics are far more sophisticated than anything the DR has seen so far in the automotive space.

Further, the taxes are a dead stop in the DR. A current used Tesla S is valued at over 4,000,000 pesos and based on that you would likely pay 2,000,000 pesos just for the privilege of importing it here. Even a used Nissan leaf of 2012 vintage carries a 1,000,000 value tag and they get barely 30 miles to a charge.

Musk is a disruptor and game changer...that is for sure.....but Tesla is a technology company trying hard to be a car company.....and he is just not quite there yet.

One other issue for the DR is noise. These cars are so quiet when working optimally, that every sound you would normally hear outside the vehicle is amplified in a Tesla....the noise level just might drive you crazy....unless you turn up the radio/cd/iPhone/iPad music.

Based on price, import taxes, reliability, and lack of any company stores in the DR...mainstream acceptance here is likely a far off future event.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

DO they carry solar panels on the roof? Maybe they could be powered gthat way, but i am sure it a lot heavier industry than that to make them.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
On the other end of the spectrum is the Elio. 3 wheeled enclosed 80+ miles to a gallon of gas etc... Has anyone seen these but me? Scheduled to sell for less than $7000 USD and 90 per cent North America content. Available next year. 49000 already with deposits on them.
Der Fish

Jan 9, 2004
On the other end of the spectrum is the Elio. 3 wheeled enclosed 80+ miles to a gallon of gas etc... Has anyone seen these but me? Scheduled to sell for less than $7000 USD and 90 per cent North America content. Available next year. 49000 already with deposits on them.
Der Fish

It's not even a car.....but a 3 wheeled Trike with a cabin.

It's commercial launch has been delayed for almost 3 years and is delayed yet again until late 2017. Financially, I don't think they make it.....and they would certainly seem to be useless in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacarive2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pre-orders are at 250,000 units in just two days....a sales phenomenon any car company would be envious over.

According to the auto reports I receive, the average selling price will likely be $ 42,000.00...as this includes battery upgrades to extend the range to 215 miles, more or less, and a $3,000.00 rapid home charger to avoid an all night need to be plugged in using a conventional electrical outlet.

While driver satisfaction is high, the reliability of the S model has been substandard with numerous issues involving the drivetrain, hardware not functioning properly, and leaks....lots of leaks....especially in the sunroof area....as well as malfunctioning electrical on board screen components.

While most of it is still under warranty.....the question becomes who would or could service them in the DR. The mechanics and electronics are far more sophisticated than anything the DR has seen so far in the automotive space.

Further, the taxes are a dead stop in the DR. A current used Tesla S is valued at over 4,000,000 pesos and based on that you would likely pay 2,000,000 pesos just for the privilege of importing it here. Even a used Nissan leaf of 2012 vintage carries a 1,000,000 value tag and they get barely 30 miles to a charge.

Musk is a disruptor and game changer...that is for sure.....but Tesla is a technology company trying hard to be a car company.....and he is just not quite there yet.

One other issue for the DR is noise. These cars are so quiet when working optimally, that every sound you would normally hear outside the vehicle is amplified in a Tesla....the noise level just might drive you crazy....unless you turn up the radio/cd/iPhone/iPad music.

Based on price, import taxes, reliability, and lack of any company stores in the DR...mainstream acceptance here is likely a far off future event.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Rapid charge and autopilot are supposed to be standard in the base model and I thought the base battery range was already over 200 miles.

Why are their import "taxes" on a car made in the USA. Does the DR just ignore DR-CAFTA?

Jan 9, 2004
Rapid charge and autopilot are supposed to be standard in the base model and I thought the base battery range was already over 200 miles.

Why are their import "taxes" on a car made in the USA. Does the DR just ignore DR-CAFTA?

Tesla comes with a built in charging system that takes overnight in a conventional outlet. The rapid home charger is an option priced at $3,000 dollars. The battery upgrade will get you a guaranteed 215 mile range, while the standard batteries are rated at an optimal 215 miles.....meaning perfect weather and climate and no unusual traffic delays.....in other words a perfect world....kind of reminds me of the claimed range that one used to find on cordless phone boxes when they first came out.

As to taxes under DR-CAFTA.....there would be none.....but there are other taxes you will pay when importing a vehicle. 18 % ITBIS was a way around DR-CAFTA and also the 17% tax to receive the first placa. Add in port charges, shipping, insurance and you will likely pay 50% of the value Aduana has for the vehicle.

Not to be outdone, the ITBIS is calculated on top of the first placa, which is added to the already inflated values of vehicles Aduana uses.

No other commodity entering the DR had the spirit of the trade agreement violated with workaround's like the automotive industry.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As to taxes under DR-CAFTA.....there would be none.....but there are other taxes you will pay when importing a vehicle. 18 % ITBIS was a way around DR-CAFTA and also the 17% tax to receive the first placa. Add in port charges, shipping, insurance and you will likely pay 50% of the value Aduana has for the vehicle.

Not to be outdone, the ITBIS is calculated on top of the first placa, which is added to the already inflated values of vehicles Aduana uses.

No other commodity entering the DR had the spirit of the trade agreement violated with workaround's like the automotive industry.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

If all vehicles entering the DR from anywhere have 18% ITIBIS and 17% for the first placa, then that does not appear to violate DR-CAFTA because those taxes are after the import.. But if the DR
assigns its own value to a car from the US which is not the same as the purchase price, I suspect that is a direct violation of DR-CAFTA.

For certain the DR has done everything it can to avoid the intent of DR-CAFTA when it comes to vehicles.