Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would the new Tesla model 3 work in the DR?

Elon Musk has just revealed the latest model to the Tesla range, the model 3 and the price tag starts at $35,000. That brings it in range to more mortal beings at less than half the price of the gorgeous model S, which I've hankered over ever since I saw one in a NY mall.

I very much admire Mr Musk, I think he is going to single-handedly revolutionize the motor industry for the better. The fact that all his technology is open-source is tantamount to it.

But how would a Tesla fair in the DR? In my opinion, very well. The main feature of it being virtually maintenance free would be a big bonus, as I fear very few Dominican mechanics would be able to comprehend the complicated technology underneath.

But a car powered and built on nothing more than sunlight, what's not to like?

https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"SUNLIGHT"?????????
    Most electricity in the USA, and the rest of the world is from carbon fired/fossel fuel generating plants.
    "Get a GRIP"!
    The DR is building two more as we speak.
    They ARE COOL however, but in the DR, no way!
    They would just steal it for the batteries,(K Invertor!!!!) and put in a gas engine.
    I have been here toooooooo long, I am thinking like a dominican!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

4. Likes Garyexpat, spmc, corsair74, Conchman, jinty05 and 1 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to put down $1000 dollar deposit, AND MAYBE the cars will be built in a year and a half, maybe, with the waiting list, you could have one in about 3 years, MAYBE, for about 48,000 thousand

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I also was going to post about this car. It will probably be one of the best cars in that price range ever made, if not the best. If you get one here, despite being made in the US and supposedly part of the DR-CAFTA free trade agreement, they will find a way to screw you over with registration and title fees until the price is 40% more or about $49,000 US.

The plant where they are making the lithium ion batteries has the largest foot print of ANY building in the world (not the most volume, but the area of that foot print).

I do think it will be a few years before anyone sees their car delivered.

It is nice to think that power comes from sunshine. In fact it does frequently since in addition to solar panels or wind turbines, fossil fuels got their original "energy" from sunshine. So "green cars" are hardly ever powered by totally "green power".

7. Likes spmc, beeza liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest installing solar panels on the roof of the car and your set!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The roof of that particular car could be an issue here. The entire top of the car from the wind shield to the rear window is one piece of glass.

I am sure they have figured out how for this not to be a problem in hot and sunny parts of the world, have they not?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just trying to reach 10 posts so I can view my PM's, thank you all for your support

11. Likes Lucifer liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You did know that as of yesterday the amount of the deposits was over $1 billion dollars, not bad for a pie in the sky car that is yet to be built

13. Likes beeza liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The Model S started down the same shaky road to delivering the first units, but for the people able to get one, it was the eye-opening experience of a lifetime. My wife's nephew has one and the damned thing will cruise down the highway at 80-90 mph without a hand on the wheel or a foot on the throttle. Reminds me of the Jetsons when I was a kid.

15. Likes frank12 liked this post
    *** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    and the damned thing will cruise down the highway at 80-90 mph without a hand on the wheel or a foot on the throttle.
    Now imagine the same on DR's highways.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast