Red Snapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Well , this may seem a little silly, "BUT" I recently tried to order a red snapper and let's just say I did not get one.
Can anyone provide a Spanish word of wisdom to aid me in obtaining a red snapper?

Cheers

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No, pargo is porgy. Chillo is the Spanish word for red snapper.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think it depends on the country you are in. In Costa Rica and Mexico, pargo is red snapper. Here in the DR, chillo is the word for snapper, but most of the chillo I've seen is yellowtail snapper.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
most red snapper comes from west coast of s.amer... frozen and sent to u.s. dont think d.r. is importing any high priced fish...:cheeky:

Sep 4, 2012
I think it depends on the country you are in. In Costa Rica and Mexico, pargo is red snapper. Here in the DR, chillo is the word for snapper, but most of the chillo I've seen is yellowtail snapper.

That's my initial thought as I believe they have the same in Panama.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
we used to call the youngs ones snapper......but things change look at the chinese fish mkt

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
In Mexico they are called pago. Gaby just calls them pez rojo. Yellow tail snaper she calls coliamarillo.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
While at the local fish market, with fish that had been brought in within the hour I saw many red fish that looked like red snapper to me.
Therefore, I believe red snapper as I know them are local to the DR.
Once I saw chillo mentioned in this thread I recognized it from a Spanish only menu I had in LT.
I "believe" that chillo is the magical Spanish word I am looking for. Will advise :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No red snapper in the DR but there are plenty of other equally good deep water snapper depending on where you are located. Pago are either dog or cubera snapper. Not a true snapper but hog fish or as its sometimes called hog snapper is better than any red snapper.I have seen it in S.D. fish markets.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not an expert here, but I have been to the north coast beaches east of Gaspar Hernandez where they serve what they call Chillo which is taken from the local waters. The fish definitely has some red color to it.

From time to time I see someone selling a similar fish by the side of the main road near La Mulata that looks similar.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
No red snapper in the DR but there are plenty of other equally good deep water snapper depending on where you are located. Pago are either dog or cubera snapper. Not a true snapper but hog fish or as its sometimes called hog snapper is better than any red snapper.I have seen it in S.D. fish markets.

I beg to differ on this because I have bought queen snapper in Cabarete and big eye reds in POP. I know what hogfish, pink porgies, and grunts are. I'll post photos of the Queens later this morning from Cabarete when I'm on my computer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

There are red snapper here in the DR. Just about a week ago this gal I know went fishing with two local Dominicans and I heard she came back with a red snapper.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I highly doubt much red snapper is imported to the US. Literally tons of it is caught by the US fishing fleet right there in the gulf of Mexico.

Here in the US, this is a red snapper.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...d=0ahUKEwjCuZPz7fLLAhVGKyYKHZw1A4sQMwhEKAUwBQ

I'm not a fish expert, but that looks exactly like ones I've seen in some supermarkets here on the North Coast and also same as locals selling fresh caught on the street. Also, same as ones I've personally caught in Florida and found in just about every supermarket. One restaurant I used to go to got their red snapper right off the fishing boats as they came in every day.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Then there is the joke about the gal who went fishing for the week end with 4 men, and nobody put a fish hook in the water all week end, but she went home with a red snapper!
Der fish

Status
Not open for further replies.