CANADA and DR Free trade Agreement?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I see the CAFTA-DR still doesn't include Canada from what I see online. I also see that a bilateral agreement has been discussed over the years but not much online.
I was hoping that someone here may have more insight on this that I do not see fro Google.

Thanks in advance!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
All I know is that it was put on the back burner by Harper while they focused on the Pacific Trade agreement. Haven't head Trudeau saying anything about the DR-Canada free trade agreement. Once he gets all the details on the Pacific agreement, I expect his government to cancel it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I doubt it. They promised to cancel the NAFTA and the GST and cancelled neither.

Trudeau stated during the election he would review the deal, and cancel it if he felt it wasn't a good deal for Canada and the provinces. It will be interesting to see if he keeps this promise, especially with Quebecs reservations about the deal. He's kept most of his promises so far. UNIFOR is questioning what's in the deal and how it would affect the auto industry in Ontario. Surprisingly, my Province, NL, has taken a wait and see attitude. If it allows them access to more foreign fish markets, they would okay the deal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is NAFTA the same as the Can/US Auto Pact ?

It was the initial deal..... '60's or so..... for cars and parts only

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Withdrew CF-18's from Syrian conflict. Brought 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada a bit later than promised and bringing in 10,000 more. Killed Harper's bill to have citizenship removed from people convicted of terrorism, appointed new senators as independents, started inquiry into murdered and missing native women. Started the process to get Canada's seat back on the UN Security counsel, etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Withdrew CF-18's from Syrian conflict. Brought 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada a bit later than promised and bringing in 10,000 more. Killed Harper's bill to have citizenship removed from people convicted of terrorism, appointed new senators as independents, started inquiry into murdered and missing native women. Started the process to get Canada's seat back on the UN Security counsel, etc.
You say that like those are good things.
At least one of those Refugees has been found out to be a terrorist, who know how many others? Gave away a few billion $$ to other countries.
Broke his promise to lower small business tax, will not legalize marijuana, removed CF18s and made life more dangerous for the Canadian advisors and Kurdish people on the ground. The inquiry , although a feel good exercise for the victims family will find that most of the police investigations are the same as for any non-native and most of the perps are native men. Giant waste of time and money. Removed financial oversight on the peoples tax money being spent by First nations chiefs and councils and so the averge native on the reserve will continue to suffer while the chiefs and their family will get richer.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You say that like those are good things.
At least one of those Refugees has been found out to be a terrorist, who know how many others? Gave away a few billion $$ to other countries.
Broke his promise to lower small business tax, will not legalize marijuana, removed CF18s and made life more dangerous for the Canadian advisors and Kurdish people on the ground. The inquiry , although a feel good exercise for the victims family will find that most of the police investigations are the same as for any non-native and most of the perps are native men. Giant waste of time and money. Removed financial oversight on the peoples tax money being spent by First nations chiefs and councils and so the averge native on the reserve will continue to suffer while the chiefs and their family will get richer.

I can't understand how he has broken his promises when he has only been in power since October.....

It seems there is very little info on the negotiations with the DR that happened under Harper. Is there any links with info on this or is this thread just going to turn into a fight about Trudeau?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I can't understand how he has broken his promises when he has only been in power since October.....

It seems there is very little info on the negotiations with the DR that happened under Harper. Is there any links with info on this or is this thread just going to turn into a fight about Trudeau?

I don't know of any more links to the DR-Canada free trade agreement. A call to the Canadian Consulate in Puerta Plata is probably the best way to get the most current information on the status of the agreement.

Bob and I are not fighting about Trudeau and the pros and cons of his kept and broken promises. My perspective is the same as yours. Wait and see and then make personal judgements. Some of what he has done, I like. Other things I have personal reservations about. My response to Bob was he did keep some of his promises.