Hepatitis

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
Here in Canada they have started up a campaign on Hepatitis awareness and getting vacinated when you may be at risk. The commercial and print ads both focus on going to caribean resorts and make a point of saying that "even in DR and Cuba" you are at risk.
The premise of the ad is that one ice cube in that yummy tropical drink might give you a deadly disease.
What I want to know is - The Likelihood....

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Hep

I have never heard of anyone getting Hep from an ice cube at one of the resorts here. We live here and therefore got the whole cocktail of shots before moving...

Too bad we seem to have lost ECH...he could offer some better advice.

marc

traveldog

Feb 5, 2002
About Hepatitis

I would like to add my dos pesos on Hepatitis.....bottled water and ice at resorts are unlikely sources for getting Hepatitis, it is possible to get Hepatitis from contaminated food-This is Hepatitis A, non-lethal but makes you and your liver very sick for some time-often spread via fecal oral route so often in Restaurants, water supply etc.....there is a two shot series of vacinations that give immunity-highly recommended for travelers to third world countries.....Hep B, C and other letters are blood borne and more often fatal, contraction through un-protected sex, sharing dirty IV needles etc....vac. currently for B only-recommended for those who engage in above activities-also those who are infected with B,C don't appear sick until very late stage infection-you can't tell so glove your love etc.....and get those shots