Car Acta de venta and trespasso

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Hi

I have a potential buyer for my vehicle. My questions are: what do I need to do in regard to legalities? Is the acta de venta sufficient? Or do I need to insist I see the taxes are paid and the title transfer is done as well?

Also who generally pays for this? The buyer or the seller? Are there any things that I should beware of? Scams? Etc.

Thanks.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It can go either way who deals with the legal transfer, the buyer or the seller. I try to negotiate the transfer tax into the purchase price of the vehicle.

Go to this page to first get the official government value of your vehicle and then put that value into the transferencias part. It will tell you exactly how much tax is to be paid to transfer the title.http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/vehiculosMotor/consultas/Paginas/default.aspx

I have bought vehicles privately. Once the price is negotiated I pay 90% of the value and drive it away. The remaining 10% is paid once I receive the matricula in my name.

I have also sold vehicles privately. We both went to a lawyer and got them to draw up the acta de venta. One copy for me, one for buyer and one for the lawyer. The buyer gave me 100% of the money and drove away. I still don't know to this day if the buyer paid the tax and got it transferred, but I have a legal paper absolving me of all responsibility of it.

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Are you sure the Acta de venta absolves you?

It can go either way who deals with the legal transfer, the buyer or the seller. I try to negotiate the transfer tax into the purchase price of the vehicle.

Go to this page to first get the official government value of your vehicle and then put that value into the transferencias part. It will tell you exactly how much tax is to be paid to transfer the title.http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/vehiculosMotor/consultas/Paginas/default.aspx

I have bought vehicles privately. Once the price is negotiated I pay 90% of the value and drive it away. The remaining 10% is paid once I receive the matricula in my name.

I have also sold vehicles privately. We both went to a lawyer and got them to draw up the acta de venta. One copy for me, one for buyer and one for the lawyer. The buyer gave me 100% of the money and drove away. I still don't know to this day if the buyer paid the tax and got it transferred, but I have a legal paper absolving me of all responsibility of it.

Are you sure that the Acta de Venta absolves you of any future problems like if the new owner gets in a accident and kills someone and the car is still is in your name? Does the acta de venta need to be legalized and notorized? Thank you.

Last edited:

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Are you sure that the Acta de Venta absolves you of any future problems like if the new owner gets in a accident and kills someone and the car is still is in your name? Does the acta de venta need to be legalized and notorized? Thank you.

I have a 1994 Nisson bought it 10 years ago no bill of sale no transfer nothing in my name. It was parked for over 10 years when i bought it. Runs great at my age i only use it 1-2 times a month for short trips. I dont think i will worry about the title what would a 1994 nisson sell for ?

riosanjuanero

Jul 10, 2006

Be careful, I once sold a vehicle and the buyer did not transfer the vehicle to his name. Three years later on advise from my insurance broker we checked and it was still in my name.
I then went to the office of impuestos internos and got a "descargo del vehiculo". You need to be sure or you could be libel for an accident if the ownership has not been tranferred. I know a lady who had to pay 600,000 pesos because the sold vehicle was not transferred by the buyer.

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Payment for the vehicle - cash is real?

Be careful, I once sold a vehicle and the buyer did not transfer the vehicle to his name. Three years later on advise from my insurance broker we checked and it was still in my name.
I then went to the office of impuestos internos and got a "descargo del vehiculo". You need to be sure or you could be libel for an accident if the ownership has not been tranferred. I know a lady who had to pay 600,000 pesos because the sold vehicle was not transferred by the buyer.

OK. I will make sure that they pay the taxes and the transfer is done. Casa de Condutores has a service that does this.

For payment, any suggestions as to how I can be sure the cash is real? I would receive the cash at the time of signing documents in casa de conductores. I will not be able to bring it to a bank untill later as at the moment of signing, the car is theirs and I will want the cash in my hands.