Car Insurance

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
About to insure again and thought I would ask for other forum members experiences of good car insurers and what is a fair price for a comprehensive annual insurance policy of a mid range priced second hand vehicle. Based in Santo Domingo with low to medium annual mileage.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Don't know about locations, but I renewed this week and my policy went up fro, 4388 pesos last year to 5466. Just basic insurance. Of course that is for a year and one month back in Tenn is more than that so I didn't complain. Just went down to the bank and made a deposit in the insurance agent's account as I always do and I am good to go.
Monumental Insurance is my insurer, can send agent's info if desired.
Der Fish

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Don't know about locations, but I renewed this week and my policy went up fro, 4388 pesos last year to 5466. Just basic insurance. Of course that is for a year and one month back in Tenn is more than that so I didn't complain. Just went down to the bank and made a deposit in the insurance agent's account as I always do and I am good to go.
Monumental Insurance is my insurer, can send agent's info if desired.
Der Fish

Thanks I'm looking at quotes from Atlantica and Pepin fully comprehensive and they look decent. Just interested in hearing others comments since past employer did the business the last few years.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You are better off buying from a broker. Recommend Ros y Asociados or Marsh Franco Acra.
If you have a problem, they will have more pull to get action for you than if you go directly to the insurance company.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I paid 37,000 pesos with MAPFRE Seguros for full coverage on a 2007 Santa Fe . According to the Auto repair shop in Santiago, Auto Pintar Robles, Monumental is the best to deal with, but all of them are ok.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I stopped " full " insurance. Got too complicated, they wanted 1, then 2, now 3 tracker thingy mumble jumbos installed in the car. Dont ask me why. At their cost, mind you.
Just renewed yesterday basic insurance + an option or 2. 8200 pesos for a year. Commercial de seguro in santiago.
BTW, they still didnt ask, and after I did, they said they didnt want/need any DL, dr or other.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We stopped full insurance too, we carry liability and Casa de Conductor thru BHD's auto insurance for about 8800 pesos a year.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Full Insurance is a rip off. Ridiculous prices.

Tell me about it. My Santa Fe has been in the Repair shop since the 4th of March. They haven't been able to touch I as the insurance (Mapfre) has provided the parts and they won't authorize them to work until the parts arrive. Apparently the side air bags are the issue as they have to come from...?
Insurance only covered a rental car for 15 days, and even then they didn't cover the cost of insurance on the rental. We had to wait for 4 hours for a tow truck in the pouring rain so right from the beginning we were unhappy with the Insurance customer service.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Sorry but I do not consider full cover for $50K pesos on a 2012 Toyota Highlander to be expensive. Full cover in Europe is way beyond that and with many more restrictions re the driver.

Just my opinion and my Insurers, Colonial, have always dealt with claims super efficiently.

Full Insurance is a rip off. Ridiculous prices.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sorry but I do not consider full cover for $50K pesos on a 2012 Toyota Highlander to be expensive. Full cover in Europe is way beyond that and with many more restrictions re the driver.

Just my opinion and my Insurers, Colonial, have always dealt with claims super efficiently.

Your price is a lot less than the quotes I have gotten.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
From the comprehensive quotes that I am looking at, and the level of cover given and mindful that vehicles are not cheap here even recent second hand, the prices are very competitive when compared to Europe.

I can understand a reluctance to over insure when one lives in the campo, but if your car is relatively new and it's value is significant and you drive around in the city and travel wide and far, comprehensive cover is surely a must (with casa de conductor).

I understand too that some repairs could take time due to the importation of parts and that is down to ones vehicle choices. Some models have good parts supply domestically.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Europe the hourly rate for mechanics are off the chart compared to the DR. So you really cannot compare that way.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So far the money I saved by NOT taking full insurance for almost all the time here will be close to paying for my next new SUV.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So far the money I saved by NOT taking full insurance for almost all the time here will be close to paying for my next new SUV.

I hear you, but having driven for a considerable number of years with minimal claims (I am actually recalling zero against personal policies), I hate to think what I could have bought.

I've completed reviewing my several quotes through a broker, and whilst Banreserva is the lowest by a small margin, I am going to go with recommendations given for Atlantica Seguros. 27k plus tax annually fully comprehensive for a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara.