A question about bandwidth

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My provider for phone and WiFi is Orange. I'm running a MacBook Air and a pretty old iPad. I recently upped my gigs, and they looked at me funny when I said how much I wanted. I don't remember, but I think it's 20.

In a previous thread----the one about the SNL/Ortiz clip---I said I didn't give a rat's a** about watching stuff, but the only thing I care about from April to (one hopes!) November is MLBTV. I tried to watch a game tonight and the bandwidth checker told me I have 378 and I need 3000 to watch a game, and not EVEN in HD.

So, I guess I have to go to Orange and try to 'splain? Is this another 2.5 World problem that if you throw enough money at it, it can be fixed? Are there such things as boosters? I seem to remember that He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named (the computer genius ex-) had boosters in the house in CT.

Any and all serious advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
The math is simple here. If your streaming requires 3000 (3MBps) then we have this -

3000/8 = 375 kBytes/sec (that is the amount of data consumed in 1 second)
375x60 (seconds in 1 minute) x 60 (minutes in 1 hr) = 1.35 Gbytes an hour.

If you have 20GB monthly package then you will run it out in 14 hrs. The rest 29 days your internet speed will be limited to 368kBit/s

Orange and Claro 3G is not made for heavy users.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Orange has plans that are unlimited with up to 10mbps.....I used to have to 20gb plan but its worthless....you may need to go to POP and change to an unlimited plan with a guaranteed speed..where I live the best I could get with Orange was 6mbps....but its quicker than the 20gb plan....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have the 10 Mb home landline from Claro, it's fine for watching IPTV.
Unlimited data. Actually, when I only had 4Mb from Claro, it was fine.

Was at a friends house for the Basketball finals the past 2 weeks and we watched the games via streaming on TBS.

He only has 1Mb d/l speed from Claro. Minor freezing, so higher is recommended.

NOTE: Some people get confused between Mb and MB.

Mb = Mega bits
MB = Mega Bytes (8Mega bits to a Mega Byte)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Bandwidth

I made a mistake in my original post. I need 1800, not 3,000.

I fear there is still a trip to Puerto Plata or Delancer in my future, however.....

Thanks to all who have weighed in.