DL to drive quads?

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
2 quick questions:

1. Do you need a driver's licence to drive a quad in DR?

2. Is it easier to get a DR driver's licence if you already have a UK/European one, or better to start from scratch in DR?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Don't know about the quads. But in order to get a local drivers' license one has to get residency first we understand. ANd if one has a license form elsewhere it is turned in upon the issuance of a new one.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Normally non USA drivers can get a validation of their license from their embassy, don't need to go through the drivers test etc. US Embassy will not validate as each state issues the license.
No idea on quads, but would think might be same as a moto?
Yes need a cedula!.
Fish they did not take my US license, nor anyone else that I know of.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, you need an valid drivers license for a quad, buggy, motorcycle and golf carts. They are all licensed as motorcyles.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
First buy a life insurance policy, preferably, with double indemnity for accidental death. Then a motorcycle dl. At least your family will be ok. A quad is one of the few vehicles worse than a moto. Good luck, anyway.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I could have had my UK licence validated at the Embassy in Santo Domingo, but for all the time and expense of going down there from the north coast I decided it would be easier to just take the driving tests. By the way, a lawyer offered to help me get the Dominican licence, but wanted to charge me US$450 AFTER I had gone and got the licence validated!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, you need an valid drivers license for a quad, buggy, motorcycle and golf carts. They are all licensed as motorcyles.

I assume that means you don't really need to get a licence, because hardly anyone I know of has a licence to drive a moto.

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Short wheelbase & narrow track = inherit instability. Greatly increased weight vs. a motorcycle of the same displacement means more energy transfer in a rollover resulting in crushing trauma.

Quads are more dangerous than motorcycles in pilot-induced errors, although the impression is they must be safer. The "ATV's are safer" meme is a myth.

The American College of Surgeons did a study of 53,000 motorcycle and ATV accidents and found that you are more than 50% more likely to die in an ATV crash, and 50% more likely to need ICU admission if you survived. This was not solely related to helmet use.

And, yes, the pilot must be properly licensed, and the vehicle must be properly tagged.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
For golf carts too !!! ?? Never see a golf carts with a plate here in Sosua, i'm not sure the drivers of this carts have a drivers license.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Our insurance broker said that golf carts need insurance, but you can't insure them without them being registered and you can't register them because they appear to come into the country second-hand without adequate papers. So a sort of Catch 22 situation. The only thing you can say about a golf cart is that it doesn't go fast enough to do much damage to persons or property. So I guess you just pay up personally if necessary.

I did hear of someone's golf cart being confiscated when he drove it on the main road, but since he was returning home the next day the person he bought it off had to "produce the papers" I never heard the end of the story but I guess the papers looked like currency.