Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DL to drive quads?

2 quick questions:

1. Do you need a driver's licence to drive a quad in DR?

2. Is it easier to get a DR driver's licence if you already have a UK/European one, or better to start from scratch in DR?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the quads. But in order to get a local drivers' license one has to get residency first we understand. ANd if one has a license form elsewhere it is turned in upon the issuance of a new one.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally non USA drivers can get a validation of their license from their embassy, don't need to go through the drivers test etc. US Embassy will not validate as each state issues the license.
    No idea on quads, but would think might be same as a moto?
    Yes need a cedula!.
    Fish they did not take my US license, nor anyone else that I know of.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you need an valid drivers license for a quad, buggy, motorcycle and golf carts. They are all licensed as motorcyles.

5. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

First buy a life insurance policy, preferably, with double indemnity for accidental death. Then a motorcycle dl. At least your family will be ok. A quad is one of the few vehicles worse than a moto. Good luck, anyway.

7. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. That is very helpful and much appreciated.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I could have had my UK licence validated at the Embassy in Santo Domingo, but for all the time and expense of going down there from the north coast I decided it would be easier to just take the driving tests. By the way, a lawyer offered to help me get the Dominican licence, but wanted to charge me US$450 AFTER I had gone and got the licence validated!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    Yes, you need an valid drivers license for a quad, buggy, motorcycle and golf carts. They are all licensed as motorcyles.
    I assume that means you don't really need to get a licence, because hardly anyone I know of has a licence to drive a moto.

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You really don't need a license to drive one but legally yes which doesn't matter much for here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Short wheelbase & narrow track = inherit instability. Greatly increased weight vs. a motorcycle of the same displacement means more energy transfer in a rollover resulting in crushing trauma.

Quads are more dangerous than motorcycles in pilot-induced errors, although the impression is they must be safer. The "ATV's are safer" meme is a myth.

The American College of Surgeons did a study of 53,000 motorcycle and ATV accidents and found that you are more than 50% more likely to die in an ATV crash, and 50% more likely to need ICU admission if you survived. This was not solely related to helmet use.

And, yes, the pilot must be properly licensed, and the vehicle must be properly tagged.

14. Likes RobFenton liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast