Driving test

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I passed the theory part to get my driving licence a few weeks ago and tomorrow I have the "Practical" driving test in Puerto Plata. I am a very experienced driver (driven trucks all over Europe), have driven here for years and don't doubt my ability, but can anybody give me any hints and tips?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
When I did it several years back, I was also asked how the electrical system of my car worked, at what distance I had to park from the curb, etc. Other than driving around the block and showing I could parallel park with the pick-up I was driving, it was a piece of cake.

The guy made me laugh too, he said at the end that he didn't want to insult me but I drove like a man. lol

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Choose a manual drive car if you dont want to be restricted to automatics. My test in santo domingo lasted 2 minutes before he said I had passed. Do the obvious things like adjust seat and mirrors before driving and they see quickly you know how to drive.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I passed the theory part to get my driving licence a few weeks ago and tomorrow I have the "Practical" driving test in Puerto Plata. I am a very experienced driver (driven trucks all over Europe), have driven here for years and don't doubt my ability, but can anybody give me any hints and tips?

SO where do I go in Puerto Plata to take the written?
Der Fish

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
SO where do I go in Puerto Plata to take the written?
Der Fish

If this isn't a joke (I know your humour!), there is no written test, just a series of yes/no type video questions on a computer. You go to the office beside the baseball stadium.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
90% of the failures are in parking between the 2 poles. You don't have to make it in on one turn, you just have to
get there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
El Palacio de Justicio?

why would you think palacio de justicia handles driving licenses?
the office is exactly on the opposite side on the stadium than the justice palace. close to club deportivo.

2vc9k49.png

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Before we got to the car, the examiner told me that I should put on my seat belt the minute I get in the car. And he winked. So I did that, adjusted seat and mirrors. I had not driven a standard in about 30 years but managed not to ride the clutch too much. I was very careful leaving the parking lot and used my flashers religiously whenever I changed lanes. He did not ask me to parallel park. He told my husband that I was the best driver he had seen in a long while. FWIW.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Update: I psyched myself up and went for the driving test today. Before I went into the test centre I stopped at one of the driving schools outside because I wanted to check the correct speed limits in case I was asked. Believe it or not, in the Ministry's official driving manual, it gives two completely different sets of speed limits! So I asked at the school and several people gathered around to look at the book and the answer was.... Nobody knew! If the driving school people don't know, I guess it's not important! They then informed me that for a small propina they could phone ahead to "smooth my passage" through the test, but there was one problem: the driving test centre is closed today!

I have no idea why I would have been given a printed appointment slip for a day when the centre is closed, but the result is - no test for me today and drive over from Cabarete again on Monday. As usual - "Remember where you are"!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If I remember correctly, the slip of paper is not an appointment date.
Its the date from which you are able to take the test. 2 months day for day after the writtem test. You have up to a year to take the practical test o ce you get your provisional license.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Its the date from which you are able to take the test. 2 months day for day after the writtem test. You have up to a year to take the practical test o ce you get your provisional license.

Yep, I was about to say the same. Just took my 'written' yesterday and was told exactly that.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You need residency with a c?dula in order to apply for a driver's license in the DR.

But are you legal and for how long to drive with a valid (in my case American) license as a regularized person on the way to provisional residencia?

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
But are you legal and for how long to drive with a valid (in my case American) license as a regularized person on the way to provisional residencia?

You can drive on a foreign licence for two months after your Regularizacion date. I asked about this when I got my Regularizacion, which is why I went ahead as quickly as possible to get Residency. Your two months period must be over now, I'm sorry to say.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

Well, it's a pity nobody told me that. The printed slip clearly states "FECHA EXAMEN PRACTICO 09/ABRIL/2016".

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The driving test involves driving around the stadium. That's it. Over.

There was no parking test when i took it.

They asked me if i wanted to be certified to drive a manual car. I said, "Ok."

So they let me use a very beat-up 1983 Nissan with a broken chair, broken tail lights, and no seat belts to do the test on. I really regret not taking a photo of it.

Frank