Domestic violence

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
So somebody I know really well got stabbed in the chest by her ex-husband yesterday afternoon. She is Haitian but has been here forever.

She has been separated from her husband for many, many years. She has another companion, a European who spends 8-10 months here. They are a serious couple.

Her companion was at the beach, and the ex- came in to the apartment she shares with her novio, timed exactly to when she arrives home from nursing school. He stabbed her. With a knife. Thank G*d not a machete. Apparently, he missed her aorta by centimeters. She is in the hospital and doing well. She is strong and has a great joie de vivre.

She's out of ICU. I am going tomorrow to bring her flowers and a note. She can't really eat bc she has a foot-long chest/abdomen wound. Otherwise, I would bring chicken soup. Maybe I will, anyway. There's always a ziplock of chicken soup in my freezer.

To say that I am unsettled is putting it lightly.

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Very sorry for your friend. Senseless violence like this is disturbing in so many ways. I hope your friend comes thru this as best she can. Good luck to you both and keep us posted.

I am so sorry your friend got stabbed, horrible. I hope she will be ok and him brought to justice or something...
I find the spousal abuse here very troubling, I never grew up with that or saw it first hand really in Canada and I see it in my face a lot here especially with gringos and their Dom/Haitian partners.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and wishes for a refuah sh'leimah. All I know is that I am holding her close to my heart.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am so sorry your friend for stabbed, horrible. I hope she will be ok and him shot or something
I find the spousal abuse here very troubling, I never grew up with that or saw it first hand really in Canada and I see it in my face a lot here especially with gringos and their Dom/Haitian partners.

I didn't think it was there in my childhood in New England, but with hindsight (which always has 20/20 vision) it was there. It's endemic. It's everywhere. Doesn't matter rich/poor; race; education. It's always there.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have been very happy to see billboards along the highway cerca de Santiago that explain that it's not OK to abuse your partner. It's going to be a long, slow road, however, I fear.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If she hasn?t done so, she should contact the Unidad de Victimas so the fiscal can press charges against him. What a piece of you know what. Hope she gets better soon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few months ago DL had an article about an interesting spanish study regarding influence of the press on feminicidios. it stressed that over 90% of press releases regarding murdered women did not include any details regarding punishment of the criminal.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...-impulsar-a-potenciales-feminicidas-DD2522522

this is also noticeable in dominical press. follow ups are occasional and news about women killed by their partners do not include information on severity of the prison sentence for such killings.

here is a great dominican video about this issues (in spanish):

[video=youtube;wJJXWKZfQFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJXWKZfQFs[/video]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I certainly do not wish to minimize violent men, but I can tell you that where we live the Dominican women are even more violent than the men. Several have stabbed their husbands/boyfriend, and one stabbed and killed her mother-in-law (who had the nerve to suggest she was not faithful as a wife), and another stabbed and killed her husband's pregnant girlfriend. All of this very recently

There is little respect for life in many corners of DR

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have not heard about what has happened/will happen to the ex-. I expect I will see the current companion later this evening and will ask.