Eyes right.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Has anyone here had recent cataract surgery in the DR,any town or clinic,and would like to share their experiences?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My husband had cataract surgery a year ago by Dr.Sebastian Guzman in Santiago with great success. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i went for exam and ended up having it done in u.s. but i would have had it done in santi....i think he was schooled in mass..

Aug 21, 2007
I just had an appointment for my cataracts last week at the Instituto Oftalmol?gico in Santiago. Upon recommendation by Dominicans in the know, Dr. Estrella was the doctor to see. Phone:+1 809-583-1902 They do the surgery right there. I was impressed with my appointment. The place is busy!!! My cataracts are not quite ready for surgery, so I won't be able to comment on that for at least 6 months.

Good luck.

Lindsey

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I just had an appointment for my cataracts last week at the Instituto Oftalmol?gico in Santiago. Upon recommendation by Dominicans in the know, Dr. Estrella was the doctor to see. Phone:+1 809-583-1902 They do the surgery right there. I was impressed with my appointment. The place is busy!!! My cataracts are not quite ready for surgery, so I won't be able to comment on that for at least 6 months.

Good luck.

Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey.Mine are not yet that bad but I've been advised that I will need to do something in the near future.Night driving is very difficult anyway so with poor night vision is best avoided.

My Spanish is fairly adequate but not for complicated stuff.Do they have an English speaker on the phone?
Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Good luck.

Lindsey

Lindsey, what do your people in the know say about Dr Sebastian Guzman? I had used him for some emergency laser surgery on one of my retinas and was impressed by his set up.
Perfect English being educated in the USA. It is always good to have options.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the way, my sister in law had some new lenses implanted during her recent cataract surgery. The new lenses have eliminated her need to use glasses. She sees perfectly both far and near with them. She say it was like getting a new pair of eyes.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, what do your people in the know say about Dr Sebastian Guzman? I had used him for some emergency laser surgery on one of my retinas and was impressed by his set up.
Perfect English being educated in the USA. It is always good to have options.

Windeguy, there was another eye doctor recommended but I can't find my email with the information. Sorry. There are several eye doctors at the eye institute, but Dr. Estrella specializes in cataract surgery.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Without reservation I recommend the Laser Centre, C/ Fantino Falco No 3, S.D. All the Doctors speak English some of them perfectly. Highly efficent, well organised. Tel:
809 563 1324. microcirugia@claro.net.do. Check-up every 6 months. Much cheaper than U.K.