Relocating La Ciennega (cabarete)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi anyone here living in La Ciennega?

How is it for a foreigner in terms of safety, tranquility...
:)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are several places called La Ci?nega all over the country. Which one in particular?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Cienega actually means "swamp" in Spanish. That alone should give you a clue about what it's like.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tried to look up some articles about this foco de colera, as it was called by hoy some time ago and i got a virus. fcuking neat. :mad:

Jan 17, 2009
I'd say is about a 100% Dominican neighborhood. Lots of good working people. I doibt you'll find any foreigners. It may be safe for Dominicans; hard to tell how safe it'll be for you. It is awfully loud too: music and people on the streets, and lots of motorcycles

Yes it is... Very careful for what?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The North Coast one, on Rte. 5 from Puerto Plata/Sosua: geez. Unless you speak fluent (and exactly that) barrio Dominican and you are willing to live with no screens, an outhouse (maybe) and extremely sketchy electricity, I'd say, neh.

When I was managing the hotel, we had several workers who lived/live there. Great workers; honest; funny; etc. However, it also had/has some of the highest dengue/chikingunya rates.

So unless your reason for moving there is to deal with family issues or something similarly critical, I would say for even the above-average gringo (and do admit: if we were above average, would we be here? Nu?) La Cienega (sorry: no accent) should probably not be at the top of the list.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A few foreigners live there and seem to be ok...

well, it seems like you made up your mind then.

on a side note, it would help if your questions were more precise. i appreciate that you do not suffer from verbal dysentery like a certain NC poster :cheeky: but few more details wouldn't go amiss.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There seem to be very mixed opinions here. I know a Haitian who lived there a while and soon moved back to Callejon de la Loma (the main Cabarete barrio) because she was scared living in La Cienega.

Tranquility? I would doubt it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hi anyone here living in La Ciennega?

How is it for a foreigner in terms of safety, tranquility...

If its the same area I?m thinking of, its on the right hand side of the
road just before you get to Cabarete when coming from Sosua. At the
entrance always a bunch of motoconchos? Unless you know someone
who lives there, I?d avoid the place all together. Other areas on the NC
are just as cheap and a little safer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems like some people like to ask for advice and then just ignore it because a few other non-Dominicans live there.

It is the last place I would would choose to live in the Cabarete area, with Callejon de la Loma and Barrio Blanco being other places I would avoid.