Criminal Record Check for Non-Resident

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I have been asked to provide a Criminal Record Check from all the countries where I have worked in the past 10 years. The DR is on my list, but I have no idea how to obtain this if I am not there at present. I will be returning at some point within the next 6 months, but need to find out how I can go about obtaining a DR Police Check when I am not living there at present.

I imagine I would need a copy of my Work Visa from when I worked there, my passport photo page, birth certificate, etc. I know for Dominicans, there is place in Santo Domingo to visit for the Foreign Police Check, but I am not Dom and not in SD. Is it even possible to obtain one from abroad? Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All you need is some money to pay a clerk in a Police Station here to type you an official letter that you are an Angel from Heaven.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You do not have to do it yourself. Just need someone to take 2 or 4 passport photos (needed for absent foreigners), a copy of your passport page and the fee. They can do it anywhere in the country, pay the fee at Banco Reservas and pick up your buena conducta. If you had a cedula you can now do it online.

Matilda

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You do not have to do it yourself. Just need someone to take 2 or 4 passport photos (needed for absent foreigners), a copy of your passport page and the fee. They can do it anywhere in the country, pay the fee at Banco Reservas and pick up your buena conducta. If you had a cedula you can now do it online.

Matilda

I think you then have to take the payment slip from Banco Reservas to the Palacio de Justicia for the full certificate. That's what I had to do for my driving licence.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Matilda

Thank you! I did not have a cedula, but rather a work visa. I will attach the page of my passport that includes the visa for the time period I was working there.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I think you then have to take the payment slip from Banco Reservas to the Palacio de Justicia for the full certificate. That's what I had to do for my driving licence.

Thanks. Does it have to be the Palacio de Justica in Santo Domingo, where I worked, or can it be any location in the country? My guess is the latter, but wanted to ask.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks. Does it have to be the Palacio de Justica in Santo Domingo, where I worked, or can it be any location in the country? My guess is the latter, but wanted to ask.

The latter - but I think for someone without a cedula you need photos too. There was a link to a procuraduria page which said exactly what you needed but i can't find it atm! From memory passport page plus photos, the fee I think is now RD$500 pay that at banco Reservas. Take receipt to any palacio de justicia and ya!

Matilda

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
why tell "them" anything at all?
who knows that you were in the dr or even worked here?

It is my professional obligation and honest? As a teacher, any gaps in my resume would be a red flag for potential employers and rightfully so. I've also used references from each of the schools where I have worked internationally, and am required to provide the Police Check for a new position.

Revenue Canada also knows my record of overseas employment for tax purposes, and while I doubt any sort of school district investigation would ever track everywhere I've been, it's the right thing to do. Even though there can be extenuating circumstances (especially when teaching abroad), I sure hope most teachers would do the same too.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The latter - but I think for someone without a cedula you need photos too. There was a link to a procuraduria page which said exactly what you needed but i can't find it atm! From memory passport page plus photos, the fee I think is now RD$500 pay that at banco Reservas. Take receipt to any palacio de justicia and ya!

Matilda

Brilliant, thanks so much :)