Carnival Announces New Port in Cap Cana

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am so greatful to inform everyone that Carnival is building 2nd port in Cap Cana for new cruise route and will be ready in October 2016

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Makes one wonder how much the local economy will get, how much will be spent per passenger, how the taxi mafia will handle it, etc, etc, etc, etc , etc.......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Seems so - the first cruises expected in early 2017 apparently, docking in the Fishing Lodge area.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Seems so - the first cruises expected in early 2017 apparently, docking in the Fishing Lodge area.

They better get the Blue Mall Finished soon.. I cant see these passengers taking a taxi to Downtown PC, but the Blue Mall maybe is a go..

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
They better get the Blue Mall Finished soon.. I cant see these passengers taking a taxi to Downtown PC, but the Blue Mall maybe is a go..

Wouldn?t be surprised if they were counting on that. I?ve always wondered where they?d get enough public to keep it going.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Carnival and locations

Wouldn?t be surprised if they were counting on that. I?ve always wondered where they?d get enough public to keep it going.

One would expect some form of marketing and demographics surveys had to be done to support the investment and construction of the mall. No doubt the goods and services to be provided there will be on the high end of a region already known for high costs.

The construction in process is the positive answer such surveys. You only have to look at a map of the area to observe the placement of the mall (location, location, location) at a crossroads linking and appealing to consumer spending from Punta Cana Village; Punta Cana Resorts (Grupo Punta Cana) and its very high end residences; Bavaro; and of course, Cap Cana.

The position of the mall will afford cruise passengers to see a vision of the DR they would not expect. Just wonder what variety of goods and services will be available at the mall to satisfy the local consumers and tourists?

Regards,

PJT

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Only if it would be duty free it MIGHT become interesting for the tourists but duty free in the DR might still mean higher prices than at Wallmart.
I have worked several years with cruise ships in Panama and the average tourist doesn't go on a cruise to stop at ports and do shopping.
They wanna see and do things they don't have backhome and it has to be done in 8 hours. Panama is great for that because it offers many tours.
You have the inter oceanic railway, the Canal, Indian villages, jungle tours, canopy tour, city tours etc etc.
Panama has also the largest tax free zone in the Western Hemisphere but let me tell you not many tourists go into the free zone do some shopping even though the prices are really cheap compared to abroad.
To me it doesn't sound logical that a cruise line would invest in the Punta Cana because what's there to besides beach, beer, chicas and golf?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
My Cap Cana sources said the cruise ships would be smaller, higher-end cruises.

Can he name them?
I consider Carnival cruise line clienteles the Walmart customers in the US. There is not way that they will pay
the elevated prices in PC under any circumstances.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Here is the map I got from Carnival and what the route will look like:

TFDgePy.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can he name them?
She :)

I consider Carnival cruise line clienteles the Walmart customers in the US. There is not way that they will pay
the elevated prices in PC under any circumstances.
I do not recall if she mentioned the name of the cruise company.
I was trying to work out what they would lay on for the passengers - they don't need to go beyond the Blue Mall (less than 20 mins drive).
Even without leaving Cap Cana itself they have Juanillo beach, golf, horseriding and Hoyo Azul with ziplining etc.
I know nothing about cruises but would not imagine there would be time to go very far, certainly not to Isla Saona or any of the more popular excursions in the local area.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Here is the map I got from Carnival and what the route will look like:

TFDgePy.jpg

Nice route.
No cruise ship line is going to let their passengers leave ship when there's no infrastructure in port meaning there has to be at least one large operator in charge of operations.
They're not going to take a chance that tigueres will take care of their passengers.
Like as I mentioned there has to be an infrastructure, a professional operator that has all the tours covered from a-z. Transportation, guides, police, hospitals etc etc.
As far as I know there's no one in the DR who can do that so I reckon that the passengers will be off loaded to go to some 5 star hotel to spend time on the beach or do some golfing.