Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fogon, need instructions to build many

Post Thanks / Like

Question fogon, need instructions to build many

Hello,
    I am working with a group from Florida and the Roman Catholic Church in helping to build homes for the poor in Guayabol. We need DETAILED drawings/instructions/bill of materials for making fogons. We are trying to build 30-40 homes and each will require its own, out door fogon. Any ideas or web sites to point me to?
    Thanks in advance.
    Yours in Christ,
    John Felter

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

John,

Thank you for your effort to better the lives of my fellow countrymen. We need more people like you.

My first thought when I saw your post was to draw it and scan it for you. But then I thought, fogones work with lumber or charcoal. Cutting trees for that purpose is illegal in DR and punished with even jail-time. Cutting trees damages our ecology. Charcoal is more expensive than kerosene.

Isn't there another way that you guys can solve that without resorting to fogones?

Post Thanks / Like

PIB is absolutely right, as PIBs usually are.

So in the Name of Christ, get smart and think of small propane stoves.

Fogones can be bought at a lot of the country stores but they are so out of date that I really do not believe they are worth the effort.

Propane is subsidized by the government, it is relatively cheap, it will give added prestige to your houses, and it will reduce costs, since cooking can be indoors. You don't think even poor Dominicans cook over a fire without shelter, do you?

There is a perceived value added to the use of propane, also.

How are you going to build these houses? Self help? Or are you going to put them up and then raffel off the houses to the bishop's "most worthy 50" ??

And that is Guayabal, not 'bol' , not that it matters. Please, please rethink this plan....

And let me tell you the story of Barrio Gregorio Luperon in Puerto Plata.

When word got out that the cesspool at the head of Puerto Plata Bay was going to be converted into one of President Balaguer's urban renewal projects, every one of the inhabitants sent to the countryside for their relatives to come for a visit.
    Of course, the visit was timed to coincide with the census of people that 'needed' houses.. Smart, huh?
    People were moved out, houses were built with indoor plumbing, running water and electricity. Roads were paved. What happened?

A lot of the men got rid of the old wives and got new ones for the new house.

In many, many houses the johns were taken out and sold for cash to local hardware/building supplies dealers, since, after all, the hole served just as well.

Many new houses of ill repute opened up to service the new population just in from the countryside.

these and other stories are true....

Housing does not cure poverty, education does. I applaud your efforts, but I'd sure like to see a school mentioned in the project.

HB, the grizzled vetern of development projects....

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly me can't get the kerosene/propane thing straight, thx HB. You added some interesting points that I hadn't thought about.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Propane Subsidiarily, fogons

Originally posted by Hillbilly
    PIB is absolutely right, as PIBs usually are.

So in the Name of Christ, get smart and think of small propane stoves.

Fogones can be bought at a lot of the country stores but they are so out of date that I really do not believe they are worth the effort.

Propane is subsidized by the government, it is relatively cheap, it will give added prestige to your houses, and it will reduce costs, since cooking can be indoors. You don't think even poor Dominicans cook over a fire without shelter, do you?

There is a perceived value added to the use of propane, also.

How are you going to build these houses? Self help? Or are you going to put them up and then raffel off the houses to the bishop's "most worthy 50" ??

And that is Guayabal, not 'bol' , not that it matters. Please, please rethink this plan....

And let me tell you the story of Barrio Gregorio Luperon in Puerto Plata.

When word got out that the cesspool at the head of Puerto Plata Bay was going to be converted into one of President Balaguer's urban renewal projects, every one of the inhabitants sent to the countryside for their relatives to come for a visit.
    Of course, the visit was timed to coincide with the census of people that 'needed' houses.. Smart, huh?
    People were moved out, houses were built with indoor plumbing, running water and electricity. Roads were paved. What happened?

A lot of the men got rid of the old wives and got new ones for the new house.

In many, many houses the johns were taken out and sold for cash to local hardware/building supplies dealers, since, after all, the hole served just as well.

Many new houses of ill repute opened up to service the new population just in from the countryside.

these and other stories are true....

Housing does not cure poverty, education does. I applaud your efforts, but I'd sure like to see a school mentioned in the project.

HB, the grizzled vetern of development projects....
    Last edited by John Felter; 02-06-2002 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Propane Subsidiarily, fogons

Wow,
    What great input from Pib and Hillbilly. This is exactly what I need. I did not know that the collecting and burning of these fuels is illegal. As I understand it. Guayabal is a very poor area that the people could not afford the propane. Can you direct me to where to find the info on the goverment subsidized propane program? I need to confirm that it is available in Guayabal.

Getting to the housing question. The Roman Catholic Nun that is in charge of this project, is requiring that the local folks that want these homes to put in at LEAST 400 hours of sweat equity in each home. We, as volunteers, coming to the DR will not be allowed to do the construction work. We will only be allowed to teach, direct, and help the locals.

I think, but please do not hold me to it, that there is already a school in Guayabal.

Yours in Christ,
    John Felter

"Going for Gold"
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Is this project being done through Habitat for Humanity? It sounds very similar to their program.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not H-for-H project. We are just borrowering some of their requirements for ownership. The homes we hope to construct are to get the folks out of lean-to's and shacks. We are looking at 20' x 24' foot-print. Much smaller than HfH.
    Do you have any info or directions for me on the subsidized propane program?
    Thanks in advance,
    John Felter

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Government subsidized propane

I think that HB inadvertently made it sound like a sophisticated program. What it means is that the government pays for some of the cost of the propane that people buy for cooking. As an example a 100 lb container cost near RD$500 to buy and about the same to fill. In a regular family it would have to be re-filled every 2-4 months. A cheap stove would go for about RD$600.00 without an oven (which I think they won't need) and with proper care would last about 4 yrs.
    Last edited by Pib; 02-06-2002 at 02:44 PM.

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some program though giving a rebate to 'poor families' when purchasing gaz...But apparently the rebate is very little (5-10 pesos) and requires that you stand in line all day and hope they don't run out...Perhaps someone else has the exact details?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast