How would you manage my rental dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
PROBLEM
I have a home with its own electricity
I want to add two additional studios for 2 other people ( hopefully)

How would you manage the electricity situation?

1/should i put in an electricity line for each studio - able to be registered independently with Edenorte?
or
2/ should the renters pay me a premium or approximation of the electricity.. i think they used ( this will get messy)??
Can i tell the renters not to use aircon' if they pay up front- as they would blast the aircon all day and id make no money on the rent

How would you manage this problem? any other solutions??

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You can put your own meters for the lines going to the studios and charge them for the electricity they are actually using while you pay the electricity supplier.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
You can put your own meters for the lines going to the studios and charge them for the electricity they are actually using while you pay the electricity supplier.

Hi Mauricio
im not an expert...let me say back to you...what i thought you meant

1 Line to the my property border from edenorte- in my name
This line is divided into 3 separate lines inside my property ( 2 studios, and my place)
Each line goes to a separate meter ( id have 3 metres one for each apartment)
Each month i look at electricity used on each metre and multiply it by edenortes rate p/kw

Is this what you meant??
thanks again

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015

Hi Mauricio

This line is divided into 3 separate lines inside my property ( 2 studios, and my place)
Each month i look at electricity used on each metre and multiply it by edenortes rate p/kw

Is this what you meant??
thanks again

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Definitely make separate zones for the renters. You do NOT want to get into a "let's split it" situation. This will not maybe be messy: it WILL get messy. Very messy. You may have renters who will not blast aire 24/7/365, but if they are Dominican, they will. Charge them a flat fee up front? Not a great idea, bc it raises the price and limits your prospects.

Best solution is to divide units into zones. Edenorte (if you are on the North Coast; I don't know where you are.) But whoever your supplier is, they can do it. Each zone has its own bill. The bill comes to you, but you can just pass the bill on to the renters. Once they see it and have to pay it, well....tal vez it will rein them in. At least maybe make them think about turning it off when they are not in the room.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
You can request (and you should) multiple meters. As they are all separate dwelling units, there is no problem. You just have to prove your own title to the property and pay a small deposit for each meter (usually about 2000 pesos).

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Separate meters with electric company.

If you only have one (1) meter being billed by the electric company you will probably go over the 700 kw threshold and thus EVERY kw will be charged at the maximum rate.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have separate meters for the three levels of our house. As we only rent short time the meters are in our name, and we pay. If we rent for a month or more , we put it in the rental agreement that the electricity bill is not part of the rent...etc. Our longer term rentals all have separate meters and the renters put the electricity in their name.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

If you only have one (1) meter being billed by the electric company you will probably go over the 700 kw threshold and thus EVERY kw will be charged at the maximum rate.
That's what I did with my small apartment building. It was quite expensive to set up but I have saved a fortune since each apartment has been billed separately. You may have to prove that you are renting the places long-term by showing rental agreements, but my electrician got around that with his friends in Edenorte and a bit of "lubrication".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Use separate meters for each additional apartment. It is the cheapest and best solution for such a situation.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As for question 2 - How should you charge for electricity, I would suggest that for short term rentals of less than a month you expect them to use the aircon 24/7 and include the cost in the rental fee. For longer term, over a month, charge them a mon thly rental plus electricity at cost.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'd go flat rate and make a killing on the AC. :) I'd put the AC on a separate circuit which you control.

"Ah, heats getting you down? So sorry, $12/day, por favor." Work on delivery so it comes across with a dash of sympathy.

I'd go $15 if there is a gringa involved.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016

Yup.....dead simple, do the math. Even having to price the install, you're way ahead at the end of the day.

What SantiagoDR said!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hi Mauricio

Is this what you meant??
thanks again

Well, I meant two lines, one for each renter, the remainder is ofcourse what you used. However if you can get extra meters from edenorte with independent contracts it would be much better, since there is a threshold at 700kw/h per month, above that all your kW/h will be charged at a higher price.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Definitely make separate zones for the renters. You do NOT want to get into a "let's split it" situation. This will not maybe be messy: it WILL get messy. Very messy. You may have renters who will not blast aire 24/7/365, but if they are Dominican, they will. Charge them a flat fee up front? Not a great idea, bc it raises the price and limits your prospects.

Best solution is to divide units into zones. Edenorte (if you are on the North Coast; I don't know where you are.) But whoever your supplier is, they can do it. Each zone has its own bill. The bill comes to you, but you can just pass the bill on to the renters. Once they see it and have to pay it, well....tal vez it will rein them in. At least maybe make them think about turning it off when they are not in the room.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.