Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you manage my rental dilemma

PROBLEM
    I have a home with its own electricity
    I want to add two additional studios for 2 other people ( hopefully)

How would you manage the electricity situation?

1/should i put in an electricity line for each studio - able to be registered independently with Edenorte?
    or
    2/ should the renters pay me a premium or approximation of the electricity.. i think they used ( this will get messy)??
    Can i tell the renters not to use aircon' if they pay up front- as they would blast the aircon all day and id make no money on the rent

How would you manage this problem? any other solutions??

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can put your own meters for the lines going to the studios and charge them for the electricity they are actually using while you pay the electricity supplier.

3. Likes Polar Bear, PeterInBrat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    You can put your own meters for the lines going to the studios and charge them for the electricity they are actually using while you pay the electricity supplier.
    Hi Mauricio
    im not an expert...let me say back to you...what i thought you meant

1 Line to the my property border from edenorte- in my name
    This line is divided into 3 separate lines inside my property ( 2 studios, and my place)
    Each line goes to a separate meter ( id have 3 metres one for each apartment)
    Each month i look at electricity used on each metre and multiply it by edenortes rate p/kw

Is this what you meant??
    thanks again

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mauricio
    im not an expert...let me say back to you...what i thought you meant

1 Line to the my property border from edenorte- in my name
    This line is divided into 3 separate lines inside my property ( 2 studios, and my place)
    Each line goes to a separate meter ( id have 3 metres one for each apartment)
    Each month i look at electricity used on each metre and multiply it by edenortes rate p/kw

Is this what you meant??
    thanks again

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely make separate zones for the renters. You do NOT want to get into a "let's split it" situation. This will not maybe be messy: it WILL get messy. Very messy. You may have renters who will not blast aire 24/7/365, but if they are Dominican, they will. Charge them a flat fee up front? Not a great idea, bc it raises the price and limits your prospects.

Best solution is to divide units into zones. Edenorte (if you are on the North Coast; I don't know where you are.) But whoever your supplier is, they can do it. Each zone has its own bill. The bill comes to you, but you can just pass the bill on to the renters. Once they see it and have to pay it, well....tal vez it will rein them in. At least maybe make them think about turning it off when they are not in the room.
    Last edited by Meemselle; 04-13-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can request (and you should) multiple meters. As they are all separate dwelling units, there is no problem. You just have to prove your own title to the property and pay a small deposit for each meter (usually about 2000 pesos).

8. Likes Meemselle, CristoRey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to have Ednorte install them, you can buy your own meters and have an electrician install one on each unit. You read the meter each month and tell them what they owe. But definitely split them up. Leaving all on one meter is not a good idea.

http://www.ekmmetering.com/basic-kwh...FVNZhgod_z8Lgg

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Separate meters with electric company.

If you only have one (1) meter being billed by the electric company you will probably go over the 700 kw threshold and thus EVERY kw will be charged at the maximum rate.

11. Likes bob saunders, ctrob, DR1Admin, drstock, KateP and 1 others liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We have separate meters for the three levels of our house. As we only rent short time the meters are in our name, and we pay. If we rent for a month or more , we put it in the rental agreement that the electricity bill is not part of the rent...etc. Our longer term rentals all have separate meters and the renters put the electricity in their name.

13. Likes SantiagoDR, ctrob liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Separate meters with electric company..
    Agreed. I forgot about the max rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast