The real skinny on Barcelo Capella

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
What is the food like at this place? I read a report on Debbies page that compares it to a college dormitory cafeteria. Also there are many reports of gastro-intestinal problems experienced here as well. Why? This is supposed to be a so-called 5***** star resort. If so this is unacceptable. Where is the board of health?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I have receved dozens of emails

on this subject however noone is willing to go public with their displeasure with the Barcelo company or more specifically this property. Many of the responses contained tales of gastrintestinal woes as well as poor food. For a 5 star hotel this is ridiculous and a real problem for the tourism industry in DR. The Government should step in. I have changed my reservation and since I have stayed at their Bavaro Palace property several times I am wondering if the trend has gone downhill there as well. I think food is very important to a good holiday and for $150.00 to $200.00 per night there can be creative ways to make the Al-In palatable

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Displeasure with Barcelo

If you want to voice your displeasure with Barcelo, they need to hear you. The following website has a list of names and email addresses of Barcelo's, Who is who in Barcelo Hotels, includes the Co-Presidents and the General Director for the Dominican Republic and Caribbean. Regards, PJT

Also, let them know what they are doing well. Adding a little sugar may get you a better response from them.

http://www.barcelo-hotels.com/acerca/acefra_i.htm

alex2812

Jan 31, 2002
Bad Info

I don't know if you have been there but the barcello capella beach resort has to be the best in the area. I have stayed there numerous times and have just booked my next trip for March. I have stayed at just about every resort in the Juan Dolio, Boca Chica area and this is the only one I return to. They have 4 restuarants..yeah the buffet is a buffet, but the french resort and the beachside rest. are great. I highly suggest the T-Bone at the beachside rest. Book your trip at the Barcello...YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Sometimes the goverment rated the resorts according the area they are located. ie: Hamaca Resort is a 5 star in Boca Chica, but in Punta Cana the same hotel barely will be a 3 star hotel.
the same happen with Capella. this is the best hotel in Juan Dolio. their rooms are 5 star (even better than Barcelo Palace), the property is very clean and restaurants are extremely clean and well decorated. food is just OK. The property could be considered 4 to 5 star. service, food and drink quality, 3 star.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Why dont they improve the food and drink?

Its a clear indication something foul is going on. It doesnt take alot of brains to make food good and tasty to eat. If you are rating this a 5 star resort then there is no excuse for 3 star anything. The governmental rating system of hotels in DR is a sham and needs to be revised. As far as Barcelo is concerned, with their $$ they should be ashamed as a family and as a corporation to serve food that is unpalatable and frankly makes people sick at their so-called 5***** resort.

Would you invite people over to your house, serve them food and make them sick?