CNN Airs About Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
- The CNN article is correct about the racism.
- Incorrect about losing citizenship they never had.
- How did the woman "regain" her citizenship by proving only that she was born in the DR? That of itself is NOT sufficient.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
It wasn't long ago that Dominicans and Haitians were on par economicly. It's a case study in what a failed state and natural disaster can do.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It wasn't long ago that Dominicans and Haitians were on par economicly. It's a case study in what a failed state and natural disaster can do.

Depends what you call long ago. For relatively young societies 200 years is a long time.

Sep 4, 2012
i am trying to follow this thread. kindly explain to me how the word dichotomy applies in this sentence.

I'm not your personal tutor, hire one if you need to understand the dichotomy among Haiti and DR ever since their origin up to now. No other countries spare the same in the entire planet.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Dichotomy is a perfect definition describing both countries "coexisting". One cannot exist without the other. Or more likely the DR couldn't exist without Haiti.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Tell us how long ago it wasn't? I don't believe they have ever been anywhere near par economically.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Dichotomy is a perfect definition describing both countries "coexisting". One cannot exist without the other. Or more likely the DR couldn't exist without Haiti.

Why not? Because the old cold war theory that we as humans have to have someone to hate?
Der Fish

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Ya alright....what kind of infrastructure construction here would happen without Haitianos?

However having said that I've rarely seen an adjacent nation hate the other as Dominicans do.

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Tell us how long ago it wasn't? I don't believe they have ever been anywhere near par economically.
Der Fish

I'll look it up tomorrow. I remember reading that but I'm ready to be wrong. I think it was in the 1950's that thier fates diverged. The 1970s were their ruin.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Ya alright....what kind of infrastructure construction here would happen without Haitianos?

However having said that I've rarely seen an adjacent nation hate the other as Dominicans do.

There are several others that come to mind.

Mar 1, 2009
This is the same old subject that has been discussed dozens and dozens of times. What is the "racism" against Haitians?
Why can't Dominicans carry on fine without Haiti?
If we sawed off the country, DR would be just fine. We don't need their cheap labor, it drives up the level of unemployment. Dominicans want to do those jobs but the pay is low and the industry exploits Haitians who will do anything for a job, any job. The issue is that once they get it just like everyone else they end up wanting ALL the benefits that go attached. They don't get them because they are ILLEGAL and have broken the law already so they are now in a catch 22, so what do they do? Racisme, racisme, rascisme.
CNN Always UNFAIR AND UNBALANCED. Whoever believes what they watch on CNN deserves to keep eating poop for breakfast. These psyops called news are getting tiresome.
LC...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
There are several others that come to mind.

Cyprus would be a good place to start.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17217956
Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded the north in response to a military coup on the island which was backed by the Athens government.
The island was effectively partitioned with the northern third inhabited by Turkish Cypriots and the southern two-thirds by Greek Cypriots. United Nations troops patrol the "Green Line" dividing the two parts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

How much have you spent in either country, and how much time have time have you spent listening to Haitians speaking about Dominicans? I have asked many Dominicans about Haitians to try an gage their " hate" . I don't believe Dominicans in general have much hatred towards anything, including HATIANS.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Der Fish

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2007/wp0763.pdf

"The countries had the same per capita real GDP in 1960 but, by 2005, the
Dominican Republic?s per capita real GDP had tripled whereas that of Haiti had halved. "

It seems that Papa Doc and Baby Doc did an amazing amount of damage. However, they aren't out of line with the rest of the Haitian history. Here's one gem: "After almost 200 coups, revolutions, insurrections and civil wars since independence, Haiti today still has one of the world?s most undemocratic, corrupt, violent and unstable governments."

It took me awhile to find that reference again. It was depressing reading about Haitain history. :(

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
How much have you spent in either country, and how much time have time have you spent listening to Haitians speaking about Dominicans? I have asked many Dominicans about Haitians to try an gage their " hate" . I don't believe Dominicans in general have much hatred towards anything, including HATIANS.

You're asking the wrong people. I'd ask the Hatians. Not just the Haitians, but la gente negra (black people) as they are often on the receiving end of racists statements. My girlfriend ran down to the colmado and a man told her that he didn't like blacks and wish they all would leave as causally as commenting on the weather. She's definitively a coffee with cream color, so the dark skin people probably have a rougher time.

Most Dominicans are decent and treat others with respect, but certainly not all. Most people don't realize how good my spanish is (or maybe they just talk openly), but I overheard a woman saying that she was going to marry a black man because she didn't want her daughters to suffer with a small ass like hers. She was going to check out his sister's rumps first to make sure, etc, etc. I was amused. Of course, I had to check out her culo to judge for myself. She had a point.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're asking the wrong people. I'd ask the Hatians. Not just the Haitians, but la gente negra (black people) as they are often on the receiving end of racists statements. My girlfriend ran down to the colmado and a man told her that he didn't like blacks and wish they all would leave as causally as commenting on the weather. She's definitively a coffee with cream color, so the dark skin people probably have a rougher time.

Most Dominicans are decent and treat others with respect, but certainly not all. Most people don't realize how good my spanish is (or maybe they just talk openly), but I overheard a woman saying that she was going to marry a black man because she didn't want her daughters to suffer with a small ass like hers. She was going to check out his sister's rumps first to make sure, etc, etc. I was amused. Of course, I had to check out her culo to judge for myself. She had a point.

There's ALWAYS exceptions, that why I said in general. A comment like you overhead equates with bias or bigotry, but not hatred of Haitians.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Bob, hate is a strong word. Let's go with dislike. I should point out that I didn't mean to generalize. It's been my experience that a lot of Dominicans have a strong opinion of Haitians. Like it or not.

I've been here 12 years....only been to Haiti for a grand total of three months. So...I find that I have to explain myself to you.

However at the end of the day I really only want to say two words to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.