Hotel..... Santiago or La Cumbre

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will need one or two nights in a hotel while in STI.

I have my eye on that place in La Cumbre.... with the view.... used to be 'The Rim'
Anybody know anything about it ?

I need to be at Union Medica early Tuesday.... and maybe stay the next night too......

Thanks.........
other suggestions appreciated, keeping in my my frugality and poverty:hurt:

Jan 9, 2004

I have my eye on that place in La Cumbre.... with the view.... used to be 'The Rim'

I need to be at Union Medica early Tuesday.... and maybe stay the next night too......

Thanks.........

Now called Altos de Moca. I think it is about $85.00 a night.....not sure of that pricing since the new owners took over. Nice views, ok food, relaxing place.

Not near Union Medica at all, but more relaxing than the Santiago options. Depends what you are looking for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Thanks.........

If you are as poverty stricken as I am maybe a double shift in a Cabana. It will cost close to 1000 pesos for the entire night instead of a 4 hour shift.
Der Fish

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Try Hotel Century Plaza about $65 a night, includes breakfast and puts you about 5 minutes away by taxi.....

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Be careful with hotels in central Santiago, they get very, stress very, noisy at the weekend. So if you are staying Friday, Saturday or Sunday, my preference would be the place out of town with the view.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
has anyone ever heard of the colonial???? run by americans???? rooms from 12$ to 85$...in santiago.....good breakfast...coffee....nice economy place....used to stay there yrs ago....less than 100wk...ha ha...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
How about Camp David (don't know the name of the hotel, but stunning view and really good food, and less than 15min from Santiago).

Also, the Hedelpa (not sure of the spelling), near the airport.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
If you are as poverty stricken as I am maybe a double shift in a Cabana. It will cost close to 1000 pesos for the entire night instead of a 4 hour shift.
Der Fish

Derfish, Are the Aparta hotels the same thing? I see them, but I'm not sure what they are offering.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Derfish, Are the Aparta hotels the same thing? I see them, but I'm not sure what they are offering.

A cabana is a drive in "Love Shack", often very well appointed with S&M shackles and yacuzzis, I heard!
An apartahotel, is more of a hotel with a kitchen, many with a separate bedroom.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Los Jardines rings a bell for me... from my last trip.

In town is better.... thanks all

Near the old Nacional and that good Italian restaurant

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Someone else may be able to answer this, I am not sure, but the Cabanas are from 400 to 500 pesos for a 4 hour session. Or you can pay double to amanazar or wake up there. Basically these could be thought of as whoretels. I worked in one in Miami Beach at one point in my life. But when I come into the Dominican Republic on the fly by night airlines at 3:00 AM I stay at one of these near the airport and when the sun comes up and the buses run I go on about my business. You can stay there as a single person, Don't have to have a puta with you.
Der Fish

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Someone else may be able to answer this, I am not sure, but the Cabanas are from 400 to 500 pesos for a 4 hour session. Or you can pay double to amanazar or wake up there. Basically these could be thought of as whoretels. I worked in one in Miami Beach at one point in my life. But when I come into the Dominican Republic on the fly by night airlines at 3:00 AM I stay at one of these near the airport and when the sun comes up and the buses run I go on about my business. You can stay there as a single person, Don't have to have a puta with you.
Der Fish

Not everybody living in the country survives on their SS admin checks and plato de dia, I suspect Webster is looking for a clean "normal" hotel near his doctor, and not looking to save 300 RD Pesos to buy an extra 500ml bottle of Brugal to drink with Yocasta.

We get it, you told us 3X, caba?as are for sleeping too!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Not everybody living in the country survives on their SS admin checks and plato de dia, I suspect Webster is looking for a clean "normal" hotel near his doctor, and not looking to save 300 RD Pesos to buy an extra 500ml bottle of Brugal to drink with Yocasta.

We get it, you told us 3X, caba?as are for sleeping too!

He is the one who mentioned poverty. If others believe that one living in poverty can pay $80+ for a night in a hotel ok. But since he ants to know about something for one living in poverty I thunk I'd answer him and also the others who had specific questions..

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
I like this place!

Started staying there maybe 6 years ago. Always sleep good. Take a back room if available. Only about 6 blocks to a La Sirena. Can shop or eat there. It's where I always buy the wine that I drink while sitting on the Colonial roof top in the evening. Lots of interesting things to see from up there. Also the bus stop is just a half a block away and a comedore just next door. Easy/moderate walk to El Monumento. Oh yeah the price, almost forgot that, RD700, or more if you want to splurge a little.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry Cmdr.
they kept me overnight..... the hotel kept my car for free.

as an aside, the nurses wear those old fashioned (but cute) little white caps on their heads....
kept me up all night checking my 'vital signs'....

I made it..........
no results yet

back tomorrow for the follow-up visit