Emancipation in the Dominican Republic?

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
I don't know is it good forum for this question, but I didn't find any where else I could ask this question. Is it
possible emancipation of a minor in the Dominican Republic? How it goes? What are the efects of emancipation? Will I have all rights like after age of majority or they will give me some curator? Will I be able to travel abroad without my parents? Will I have any legal restrictions? Will I be totally independent?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If you mean emancipation by marriage, you must be 16 years or older, and obtain the consent of your parents.
You won't have a "curator" and will be able travel abroad without your parents.

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
I have one more question. Will I have some restrictions between age 16 and 18 or I will be considered as an adult person and I will have all rights as people in age 18 or folders? What about my property, work, money etc.?

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
I have one more question. Will I have some restrictions between age 16 and 18 or I will be considered as an adult person and I will have all rights as people in age 18 or olders? What about my property, work, money etc.?
Is emancipation without marriage possible?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is emancipation without marriage possible?

Art. 477.- El menor, aunque no est? casado, puede ser emancipado por su padre, y a falta de ?ste, por su madre, cuando haya cumplido los quince a?os. Bastar? para realizar esta emancipaci?n, que el padre o la madre presten declaraci?n ante el Juez de Paz, acompa?ado de su secretario.

it's in civil law: https://www.oas.org/dil/esp/Código Civil de la República Dominicana.pdf

specific chapter regarding the subject can also be found here: https://www.drleyes.com/page/codigo...Civil/Menor-Edad-y-Emancipacion/Emancipacion/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How about we start with, how old are you? Age will make a difference. If you are 10 you don't have a hope. If you are 16 and are able to support yourself, don't have a criminal record and have at least one really good reason why emancipation is the only available option to solve the issue you are attempting to redress, then it may be possible to convince a judge that this is a good idea. If you are 17 it may be faster to just wait until your 18th birthday.

It will take time, some money and the process will probably not leave your parents in a good frame of mind. If your reasons are valid and there is no other workable alternative solutions, then find yourself a lawyer. It might be a good idea to consult with a lawyer anyways to see if you have options available to you other than emancipation.

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
Now I'm 15, but in this year I will be 16. I used to talk with my parents and they say, that they don't see problem. However
my parents told me, that they don't know is it possible in DR, so I want to ask. I want to know something about laws of
emancipation. I used to read this civil code.
Do I understand well that I will need a consent of "consejo de familia" to do some things and I will be able only to pure
administration? Does someone know something more about it? I want to say very clearly, I have very good relations with
my parents. I want to have emancipation, because I want to go to work and be equal employee, have equal money like others
people and I want to help my parents, because we haven't a lot of money and my friends proposed me good work and he told
me that it will be better when I will be emancipated, because I will have more rights etc.
I don't know too much about laws, so I know that my questions sound a little stupid.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did you finish High School?
I suggest you do that first, then get a secondary degree.
You do write better than some members here whose first language is English.

Last edited by a moderator:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Now I'm 15, but in this year I will be 16. I used to talk with my parents and they say, that they don't see problem. However
my parents told me, that they don't know is it possible in DR, so I want to ask. I want to know something about laws of
emancipation. I used to read this civil code.
Do I understand well that I will need a consent of "consejo de familia" to do some things and I will be able only to pure
administration? Does someone know something more about it? I want to say very clearly, I have very good relations with
my parents. I want to have emancipation, because I want to go to work and be equal employee, have equal money like others
people and I want to help my parents, because we haven't a lot of money and my friends proposed me good work and he told
me that it will be better when I will be emancipated, because I will have more rights etc.
I don't know too much about laws, so I know that my questions sound a little stupid.

Your friend words are correct, as you'll have the same rights as a legal adult.

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
Your friend words are correct, as you'll have the same rights as a legal adult.
So when I'm emancipated I have the same rights like a legal adult? I won't need consent of someone to manage my property, manage my immovables etc.?

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
So when I'm emancipated I have the same rights like a legal adult? I won't need consent of someone to manage my property, manage my immovables etc.?

Can someone tell me something about it? Will I need someone's permission to manage my property, manage my immovables etc.? Will I have all
rights of legal adult?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Until you win a judgement your home country as a legally emancipated adult, you are not an adult. Once the judgement comes through in your favor, if it does, then yes. You are legally emancipated.

I wonder why, if you are in touch with your parents---as in speaking to them---you are seeking legal emancipation but that's none of my business.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Did you finish High School?
I suggest you do that first, then get a secondary degree.
You do write better than some members here whose first language is English.

Not that much better. Not that that's saying anything, as the level of literacy here, even among the English-As-First-Language set is terrifying.

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
I know that I Will be a legal adult after positive judgement. However I have more questions. Is it true that I won' t be able to manage my property and borrow money or I understand wrong something? Will I have some restrictions after emancipation? Will I be able to have have my own flat? I know
what to do to get emancipation, but I want to know effects of emancipation in DR.
I will be very grateful if someone answers me for all this questions.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I know that I Will be a legal adult after positive judgement. However I have more questions. Is it true that I won' t be able to manage my property and borrow money or I understand wrong something? Will I have some restrictions after emancipation? Will I be able to have have my own flat? I know
what to do to get emancipation, but I want to know effects of emancipation in DR.
I will be very grateful if someone answers me for all this questions.

You can manage property and borrow money (but the borrowing depends on the lender when it comes to proving economical and credit standing for a young age, regardless of legality to do so).

You can live on your own flat, etc...

Emancipation is not rare in the DR, but not common either.

Legally you will be an adult, that doesn't transfer to social-economics as you may think.

Does that answer your question?

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
You can manage property and borrow money (but the borrowing depends on the lender when it comes to proving economical and credit standing for a young age, regardless of legality to do so).

You can live on your own flat, etc...

Emancipation is not rare in the DR, but not common either.

Legally you will be an adult, that doesn't transfer to social-economics as you may think.

Does that answer your question?

Thank you very much. Excuse me, but I would like to ask for one more question. Won' t I need consent from someone to manage my property and borrow money, live in my own flat etc?

Estebana6

Apr 17, 2016
Thank you very much. Excuse me, but I would like to ask for one more question. Won' t I need consent from someone to manage my property and borrow money, live in my own flat etc? I'm not sure and I would like to ask to be sure.