New Airport Fee for Dominicans as of June of this year

Jan 7, 2016
From Bavaro Digital 14 April 2016

As of 30 June, travellers who arrive to rd will have to pay $ 995 pesos to get through immigration.

The migration authorities began the process of registration of passengers dominicans to the new equipment installed documents checks at the airport in the Americas, by that agency, with the aim of expediting the process of departure and arrival of travellers.
The sophisticated equipment, which have already been installed in the areas of departure and arrival possess, a software system, cameras and autogate (Automatic Door) that will facilitate the arrival of the Dominicans, ensuring effective control of migration.
With the autogate, travellers Dominicans won't have to work with the inspectors, because if they're previously registered on the basis of biometric data of the dgm will be able to enter and exit through this mechanism.
The Agency Set up post in the exit gate of passengers where is proceeding to the registration of passengers dominicans who will have access sophisticated system.
The process with the new machines, as explained, reduced to less than a minute the traditional check of a passenger to both the exit as to their arrival from abroad. Since the same speeds up the revision of the passport and identifies the person, without having to do long lines.
Dozens of passengers have already been registered as users in the caunt of the directorate general of migration when it opened for the system to be able to access without having to be submitted to the agency inspectors of services in the boxes.
In addition to the airport travelers can also register at the headquarters of the general directorate of migration located in the centre of the heroes, the National District.
The staff of the agency takes passengers to their biometric data, scan of passport, Fingerprints And Photograph, in about three minutes is registered for access to the new system.
In accordance with the explanations, the Dominicans over the age of 18 years whose passport has a minimum of six months of validity, they need to re-register to change these from your address book of passport.
To use the service, after passing the safety routine checkups, passengers should be directed to the automated immigration control and choose there a post. Then put in the right place the page of the passport where are your personal information so that the machine read them.
After the adoption of the reading, the system will give you step before the digital camera installed at the site, which will ask you to put your finger in the right place at the bottom to verify his fingerprints and after a few seconds the system will tell you that he has Completed the process.
The General Directorate of migration pointed out that the register to use the service will be free for those who do so until the 30th of June of this year. Adds that after overcoming that grace the same cost to passengers rd $ 995 pesos.

It was said that in the next few days, the director-General of migration, major general, Rub?n Paulino Sem, during an event that will take place at the airport in the Americas, will service the modern system that will help speed up the flow of passengers.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Read DR1 news last week for the clarifications.

To advise, the auto gates at SDQ are only used when they are busy. Started last week and were not in use on my departure nor arrival due to low volume of traffic as advised by immigration officer.

At SDQ there are now desks outside the departure gate where Dominicans can get their biometric data taken for free....and there were queues. Speeds up processing on arrival having your biometrics on file when they swipe your passport.

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Read DR1 news last week for the clarifications.

To advise, the auto gates at SDQ are only used when they are busy. Started last week and were not in use on my departure nor arrival due to low volume of traffic as advised by immigration officer.

At SDQ there are now desks outside the departure gate where Dominicans can get their biometric data taken for free....and there were queues. Speeds up processing on arrival having your biometrics on file when they swipe your passport.

The charge of the 995.00 will be only 1 time and will expire when your passport also does. This service is only for the Dominicans that want to use the service.

After June 30 they will start to make the charge of 995.00 to the people that goes to capture their biometric information, if you dont want to use the AutoGate you just has to make your normal line in inmigration as every time you did in the past and wait for an agent to attend you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The US kiosks accept Cdn & US Passports... and possibly Mexican

Do the RD ones accept only PD passports is my question.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Good question. When we arrived in December, immigration took my husband's fingerprints and photo, but not mine. Maybe because he's Dominican? He only travels with US passport, DR one expired forever ago. The data is tied to American passport, but even if he can use kiosk I can't, so back on regular lines for us.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dominicans or cedula holders too?

anybody know?

The OP states Dominicans only. I suspect it will be only those with Dominican Passports. Not foreigners and not legal residents. This should be easy to verify if the system is being used.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The OP states Dominicans only. I suspect it will be only those with Dominican Passports. Not foreigners and not legal residents. This should be easy to verify if the system is being used.

Its Correct, the system is only for Dominican passport holders.

The finger print capture and picture for foreigners is also part of the new system, now the overstay system will be all together connect, if the overstay payment is not register in the system you passport data will be locked untill you make the payment or show a legal document that tells you are Dominican or legal resident. The Agents now can not pocket the money and let you go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Its Correct, the system is only for Dominican passport holders.

The finger print capture and picture for foreigners is also part of the new system, now the overstay system will be all together connect, if the overstay payment is not register in the system you passport data will be locked untill you make the payment or show a legal document that tells you are Dominican. The Agents now can not pocket the money and let you go.

Does anyone know how soon before this will this be implemented at other airports? Including the fingerprint scanning linked to the data base for overstay fees?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Does anyone know how soon before this will this be implemented at other airports? Including the fingerprint scanning linked to the data base for overstay fees?

The capture for fingerprints has been tested since few months ago in SDQ, so I thing when they start to run 100% whole systme in SDQ will install the capture of biometric data in PUJ, and then to POP and STI.

The autogate system as will be for Dominicans only probably PUJ will be the last airport we will see with the system due to the low amount of Dominicans traveling from or to Punta Cana.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
a few months ago my finger prints were scanned and photo taken at sdq airport. they were doing this to everyone, dominican or foreigner. They have only done this once to me. Now I just show my US passport and check out of passport control.
I am a legal resident of this country so I always walk over to dominican citizens line. I do not know if they are finger printing to tourists as well.
AZB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Es pa' lante que vamos! the bad thing about is the fees... We have this installed here in the US.
I don't remember they charged me last time I ck in at FFL terminal.

JJ

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Es pa' lante que vamos! the bad thing about is the fees... We have this installed here in the US.
I don't remember they charged me last time I ck in at FFL terminal.

JJ

The fee you pay only one time, if your passport expiration is in 6 years you will have to pay again when you get your new passport.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
This is highway robbery. There are so many taxes added on to the price of a ticket and they're going to charge even More. My return ticket from last week has a Dominican departure tax, infrastructure fee, airport authority fee,
Animal health inspection <haha.WTHey is that?>AND a tax and an immigration status services fee.

Give me a break!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
This is highway robbery. There are so many taxes added on to the price of a ticket and they're going to charge even More. My return ticket from last week has a Dominican departure tax, infrastructure fee, airport authority fee,
Animal health inspection <haha.WTHey is that?>AND a tax and an immigration status services fee.

Give me a break!

i personally believe this hurts d.r. and in govt they trying to reduce taxes before its too late....because once a person comes here it can bind them back and back again,,,,relationships, houses ,,apts